[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults [and others] Update!

D Cohen dcohen at hevanet.com
Wed Dec 12 11:08:07 PST 2018

Civics for Adults [and others!] Update December 12, 2018

Happy Holidays, everyone! I'm thankful that so many people are getting more
civically engaged. Remember what Chief Justice Louis Brandeis said, ""The
most important political office is that of the private citizen."

**New legislative session starts in January. Be ready to help you patrons
navigate the state legislative database of bills and find out how to submit
"testimony" [aka your thoughts] for Hearings. Citizen Activism 101 - Making
Change Happen!**

And, if YOU want to become versed in how to use our state legislative
database I am presenting a pre-conference at the OLA/WLA Conference in
April!]

[Email me for details on all four workshops offered: Misinformation, Fake
New and Political Propaganda; Citizen Advocacy 101; The Influence of the
Constitution on Political Conversation; Elections and Campaign Finance.]

New Civics Facebook posts:

An important part of our democracy is an agency we rarely discuss - the IRS,
Internal Revenue Service. Its smooth functioning is imperative for funding
government. We may not always like what is funded but we recognize it's part
of democracy - and it must be efficient and fair.

That, apparently, isn't the case. Two articles from ProPublica this week
outline what is wrong. Here they are: How the IRS was Gutted [also currently
published in The Atlantic]

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-irs-was-gutted

and,
<https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-irs-was-gutted?fbclid=IwAR1cRjYR
btlQDfx_rDzzwVCFmmC_drX6-1xAeFIA2A8SisfhOVVarV90ieU> Who's More Likely to Be
Audited: A Person Making $20,000 - or $400,000?

https://www.propublica.org/article/earned-income-tax-credit-irs-audit-workin
g-poor?fbclid=IwAR12qBDZ4EcofDRMsbkJImb9zRNrBZomL0cawpVkUK_ez0UIO-ZRg2mc3Ig

***

Tax Fairness Oregon http://www.taxfairnessoregon.org/ has studied potential
ways to increase revenue for schools, etc. in Oregon and are looking for
folks to let them know their preferences for how to do this. TFO will be
lobbying [as they do every session, every day] for what looks to be the best
ideas(s). They outline three options and you can let them know what you
think. You may not like any of them -- in which case feel free to tell them
that! Each proposal would raise about $1 billion per biennium.

http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5838/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=142423
1
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5838/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=14242
31&fbclid=IwAR2j3c5OWnT8ntoeDyvdLrFsfjEJlBgxXQXBbWIwD4hq9y6UOrSrqSLvtu4>
&fbclid=IwAR2j3c5OWnT8ntoeDyvdLrFsfjEJlBgxXQXBbWIwD4hq9y6UOrSrqSLvtu4

***

FYI, there will be another Women's March next year.

https://www.womensmarch.com/2019/

***

The League of Women Voters recently had a presentation on Redistricting,
which, of course, will be happening after the 2020 Census [per the
Constitution]. After a 2017 task force report from the Oregon Secretary of
State's office a bill was introduce in the last legislative session to set
up an independent redistricting commission - a move that several states have
made. The bill did not go anywhere, though. LWV, etc. are gearing up for a
new bill to be introduced in the next session starting in January [Come to a
Citizen Advocacy workshop and learn how to track bills and provide testimony
(aka your thoughts) to Committees discussing the bills!]

They, along with some other groups have a website focused on this - however,
it hasn't been kept completely up-to-date that well. I did contact them and
am hopeful they will make improvements. That said, it does have some good
info and should allow you to get on the list for updates on Redistricting in
Oregon:  http://www.redistrictingmatters.org/

The Brennan Center follows citizen efforts to create fair maps. Read about
ballot measures which passed last month:
https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/current-citizen-efforts-reform-redist
ricting

The GOP was extremely successful as drawing district maps after the 2010
Census. In fact, they titled their effort "RedMap":
http://www.redistrictingmajorityproject.com/?fbclid=IwAR21-ileTTkg2hykKaTt7K
gl9vZhisL5h230gC_qNieB5ScqFvlVxH60C4g

***

Recently PBS Frontline aired the second part of its investigative report on
hate groups in the U.S. See the broadcasts online:

Part 2 is Documenting Hate: New American Nazis

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/documenting-hate-new-american-nazis/
?fbclid=IwAR20bDFcyiR2m_vbvmdQWWCKq0CdDL8f8Tugwl1LcD1OYHdKAErvJDHb-fI

Part 1 was Documenting Hate: Charlottesville

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/documenting-hate-charlottesville/

***

I've posted this before but it's worth a rerun. 1 minute video from
Reporters Without Borders on Fake News!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnaRrSfQ_lc/

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com

Civics for Adults Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/  or contact to
be on Civics email list.

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY