[Libs-Or] OLAQ Author Showcase: Mark Richardson, Cedar Mill & Bethany Community Libraries

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:10:53 PST 2018

Mark Richardson is a Reference and Young Adult Librarian at the Cedar Mill
& Bethany Community Libraries in Portland. Please download and read his
latest article, “Stepping Up: Applying Situational Leadership Concepts to
Public Library Work With Teens” here: https://doi.org/10.7710/1093-7374.1941

>From Mark’s article, “Working with teens is fun, nerve-wracking, and never
dull. After building and growing a thriving teen council at our library for
nearly ten years, I’ve spent some time thinking about what I want teens to
get out of their experience at the library. One of the big things that they
need and want is to develop leadership skills. Every application for
college or scholarships seems to ask how they are demonstrating leadership,
so I decided several years ago that I would build in opportunities for them
to develop these skills on the council. This has taken the form of them
leading meetings, splitting up into smaller groups lead by a teen leader,
and taking on other, more advanced responsibilities. After learning a bit
more about the Situational Leadership model at the Leadership Institute of
the Oregon Library Association (LIOLA) conference, I am able to see the
times when council members have demonstrated or responded to leadership
behaviors described in the model.” Please read on to see how you can apply
Mark’s knowledge and experience in your library.  And to apply for LIOLA
2019, see: https://www.olaweb.org/liola-2019

Mark is posing as Rosie the Riveter below, a theme from the latest issue of
the OLA Quarterly.

Happy Holidays!

Charles Wood

OLA Communications