[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: WORD/G-Docs - Control Your Paragraph Spacing

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Dec 18 13:23:08 PST 2018

Greetings and welcome to this week’s edition of Tech-Talk!
Control the spacing between paragraphs
[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=886d5799-3af7-4593-a8a1-c8728f2c2381&a=1100778316270&c=980e0ed0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502&ch=981cb4d0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: WORD / G-Docs
1. VIDEO ... Take Control of Paragraph Spacing
2. ARTICLE ... Take Control of Paragraph Spacing
3. COMMUNICATING ... Forgot someone's name?

[paragraph spacing]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_kXM9RfYt1RuUy5dTeMOvM_GP_Z9bqxOw2yANmjaDn5NfJVaKXmQzvhHMrvUvxEdSgqYF9Py8gakDL3qoEumZTVcR3Kqwfxm_f4F-CkrXRYuqDPnlc0Tf2KLgH1Nnbuoc2XOT2EdiFJ9VY4727tkAWY3wN3kT-5W6Og1deUN6K51KubHc-ODOA==&c=p2uZ9ADOi8PC5VVcPEnkvSJEfDdPok52W4bs4fvRLiAHEzHeSDEPrQ==&ch=LfofrXmigSNFfcFKnb07KR0d5I3OENKj2M1nbHIGlApkkbdQs-xByQ==>

Photo by Ben White<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_kXM9RfYt1RuUy5dTeMOvM_GP_Z9bqxOw2yANmjaDn5NfJVaKXmQzvhHMrvUvxEdDlbyVhnWX8I_7J02Rmxhq20QjB6as4WxpsGzBLiTnsOD4Ino9QX2nV6Pwhhp01hMnWUDGOoNkoejFHbuRh7LoiB36ZiIZkgV90vb6Xsf5hlSZjrc0b8d1GegUEUbLpnv_Q6tsqrQNwfJ-QTJvholo_vi024Pbypm7YGeRw0QAG31yfzVUkfdEXDyr-5vBeAD7uLOSM6jm89yavSEF7w6jw==&c=p2uZ9ADOi8PC5VVcPEnkvSJEfDdPok52W4bs4fvRLiAHEzHeSDEPrQ==&ch=LfofrXmigSNFfcFKnb07KR0d5I3OENKj2M1nbHIGlApkkbdQs-xByQ==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_kXM9RfYt1RuUy5dTeMOvM_GP_Z9bqxOw2yANmjaDn5NfJVaKXmQzvhHMrvUvxEd3FcJ3epD6O6IXoXLRquLzEGv_3owNrUgk5pVspXCxJ-m1nkzKHopGmP8kDezKcQRyAbX988SGdQQWScLkOgyjLc9E4GzkH3NuG7a6uIPLipV50wObHlb0v-xX774JLaQb9_hgzbSomVzEVFn-SjKzmEgMb3L1OwZHZD5LeYHkNpSYnf_4sF9ffLPxteSb6E7MkzaExh9ztkgpPxGwaxD0g==&c=p2uZ9ADOi8PC5VVcPEnkvSJEfDdPok52W4bs4fvRLiAHEzHeSDEPrQ==&ch=LfofrXmigSNFfcFKnb07KR0d5I3OENKj2M1nbHIGlApkkbdQs-xByQ==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Archives<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_kXM9RfYt1RuUy5dTeMOvM_GP_Z9bqxOw2yANmjaDn5NfJVaKXmQzkDuMlfswHc6jCeQVwHdAVWLEWZtxwu3MgbXtbSgPZDiIx56W-3huJfKJ1VUwucgzP8EpRpyk0ivfFGAQMSPmcjaOzBhoMsNXqqzR-R-2Mr_&c=p2uZ9ADOi8PC5VVcPEnkvSJEfDdPok52W4bs4fvRLiAHEzHeSDEPrQ==&ch=LfofrXmigSNFfcFKnb07KR0d5I3OENKj2M1nbHIGlApkkbdQs-xByQ==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

WORD/G-Docs - Control Your Paragraph Spacing
Intermediate

I'm working in a document that I want to fit on one page nicely, but it's a bit short of filling the page. (See the Before image below.) So I hit the Return key to make the spacing in between the paragraphs a bit wider ... now it's too much. What a pain! It's time-consuming!

Then I remember that I can adjust the Paragraph Spacing! This will make the spacing uniform throughout the page. (See the After image below.)

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/ea6e8278-25fd-4093-b8a2-bfbc11c64446.png]

[paragraph spacing]

Maybe you have tried to use the "Enter" key to create more spacing, or perhaps you want to squeeze the paragraphs together a bit to fit everything on the page. You can make your content look "just right" by simply adjusting the vertical space between paragraphs.

Making one little setting change in your document can automatically insert a little extra space before starting a new paragraph. Or you can adjust just one block of text when you need it. Use the paragraph spacing option to change the amount of space before (or after) a paragraph.

With this technique you will have more control of how your content is laid out on a page. You can quickly squeeze more information onto a page ... or even space-out bulleted or numbered lists so they are easier to read.

This works in both Microsoft Word and Google Docs.

Adjust Paragraph Spacing in a Word Document

[spacing]

For the Whole Document

In your Word document (newer versions), to change the paragraph spacing in the whole document, there are a few ways to do this:

·     Go to the Design tab and under Paragraph Spacing, use the drop-down to choose one of the pre-determined options: No Paragraph Space, Compact, Tight, Open Relaxed Double. TIP: As you mouse over the options, you'll see the changes in your document.
Or

·     If you'd like to set a specific amount of spacing, in that same drop-down window select Custom Paragraph Spacing.

·     In the Paragraph Spacing section, adjust the Before and/or After options by the number of points.

TIP: 6 pts is one half of a line and 12 pts is a full line space. Adjust to your liking.

You can also find this paragraph spacing option on the Home tab in the Paragraph section.

[paragraph spacing]

Adjust Paragraph Spacing for One Paragraph

·     Select the paragraph that you want to adjust.

·     On the Home tab, in the Paragraph section, click the Line and Paragraph Spacing button.

·     As above, in the Spacing area, adjust the Before space or the After space by the number of points you'd like, and click OK.

BONUS: Use paragraph spacing when you are working in PowerPoint documents and even in Outlook emails.

NOTE: This feature does not control the line spacing within a paragraph. It only affects the spacing before or after the paragraph.

Adjust Paragraph Spacing in a Google Doc

[custom spacing]

·     Inside your Google doc, select the text you'd like to apply the new spacing.

·     In the toolbar go to the Line Spacing icon and either click to Add space before (or after) paragraph, or click Custom spacing.

·     In the Custom spacing window, in the Paragraph spacing section, you can key in the number of points (pts) that you'd like before and/or after the paragraph. Again, keep in mind that 6 pts is one half of a line and 12 pts is a full line space.

[custom spacing]

·     Click Apply.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: Talking
Forgot someone's name?

You've met someone before, but here they are in front of you and you don't remember their name.

What can you do?

Sure you could say, "What is your name again?"

Or...

You could say,
"I remember your face, what is your name again?"
"I remember your face, but your name has slipped my mind."
"I remember your face, will you remind me of your name?"

As long as you start with, "I remember your face", they'll be happy, knowing you hadn't forgotten them and they won't mind filling in the name.

When You Click on the Images Below, Use This Login...

Your Username: ORLIBTECH
Your Password: ORLIBTECH

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_kXM9RfYt1RuUy5dTeMOvM_GP_Z9bqxOw2yANmjaDn5NfJVaKXmQzpHUlUhBpetDXFJ9Ch6H22QNQ7MWs1Tl_coBEbllSa5i0BPu3rh90iG5pPk_NfYIHwouEV6u-CQLyFYs8XYGj3DS-0OeT5hG4GyQXTJFxTlq&c=p2uZ9ADOi8PC5VVcPEnkvSJEfDdPok52W4bs4fvRLiAHEzHeSDEPrQ==&ch=LfofrXmigSNFfcFKnb07KR0d5I3OENKj2M1nbHIGlApkkbdQs-xByQ==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_kXM9RfYt1RuUy5dTeMOvM_GP_Z9bqxOw2yANmjaDn5NfJVaKXmQzsbt7FuiMRZYykUMCqnqzc_0dtmj8NsKHDSDWhgpLIKpc_wNrS1Ftj3HqJ85zdmUsRRrn1NwxD5S8uGWq1ZLElRURplCk76Fj4L06xcELaCuU-k5G52mLKs=&c=p2uZ9ADOi8PC5VVcPEnkvSJEfDdPok52W4bs4fvRLiAHEzHeSDEPrQ==&ch=LfofrXmigSNFfcFKnb07KR0d5I3OENKj2M1nbHIGlApkkbdQs-xByQ==>

Copyright 1996-2018 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on Libs-OR? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]