[Libs-Or] A question from a librarian in Japan

Pierina Parise pparise at emporia.edu
Fri Feb 2 20:21:35 PST 2018

This month we will have a librarian visiting us from Japan, and many librarians in the Portland area have generously offered their time to provide tours of our many fabulous libraries here.  He has a specific question, though, so I am posting here and hoping to find folks who may have an answer for him.
Mr. Watanabe has been collaborating with a local timber company in his prefecture in Japan to make some furniture such as bookshelves, chairs, and tables for the libraries and use them in his library in Japan. He did it in part for the revitalization of the timber industry and in part for the library patrons that are both struggling. He also said that when he talked to the owner of the timber company, the owner told him a story that there are some companies in Oregon that are doing similar contributions to the community - promoting the local timber companies and making the furniture for the library. Mr. Watanabe is interested in finding out about it.
Does anyone have any information on this?  If so, please email Keiko Newsom, key at pdx.edu<mailto:key at pdx.edu> .  She has been a valuable resource and point person in coordinating Mr. Watanabe's visit!
Many thanks!
~perri

Pierina Parise, Director, Oregon Distance Program
Emporia State University, School of Library & Information Mgt
1020 SW Taylor, Suite 447, Portland, OR 97205
Office: 503-223-8280; Cell: 620-794-5436
pparise at emporia.edu<mailto:pparise at emporia.edu>
http://www.emporia.edu/slim/regionallocations/portland.html