[Libs-Or] ALA Midwinter Council highlights

ALA Chapter Councilor olachaptercouncilor at olaweb.org
Tue Feb 20 14:31:40 PST 2018

Hello everyone,
I wanted to share some of the highlights from the Council meetings at
Midwinter. There weren't a lot resolutions passed. The big one was to raise
the cost of ALA memberships which will be on the next ALA ballot. A focus
is discussion of how ALA can be more effective. I am hoping that the
conversation will continue.

Highlights from the ALA Council Midwinter Meetings:

Council I

   -

   Passed a resolution adjusting personal member dues, raising memberships
   $1-$5. This will now move to a full membership vote on the 2018 spring
   ballot. If you would like to read more about this you can read it here (
   CD#32
   <http://www.ala.org/aboutala/sites/ala.org.aboutala/files/content/governance/council/council_documents/2018_mw_council_documents/cd_32_Mem_Com_Resol%20on%20Adjusting%20Personal%20Mbr%20Dues.pdf>
   ).
   -

   Voted to give Librarian of Congress and former ALA President Carla D.
   Hayden an Honorary ALA Membership.

Council II

   -

   The focus on this was a discussion led by ALA president Jim Neal on how
   ALA might organize itself to continue to fulfill its mission in the 21st
   century. Here is the background documents
   <http://www.ala.org/aboutala/sites/ala.org.aboutala/files/content/cd_35_orgnl%20effectiveness%20disc_13018_inf.pdf>we
   were using. This will be an ongoing focus. I would love to hear feedback
   from OLA members on this to take to council.

Council III

   -

   We heard reports from Intellectual Freedom Committee (CD#19–19.2
   <http://www.ala.org/aboutala/sites/ala.org.aboutala/files/content/cd_19_19_2_ifc_rpt_21218%20%28mw18%29_act.docx>),
   Committee on Legislation (CD#20
   <http://www.ala.org/aboutala/sites/ala.org.aboutala/files/content/cd_20_col_rpt%20%28mw18%29_21218_inf.docx>),
   and the treasurer’s report (CD#13.1
   <http://www.ala.org/aboutala/sites/ala.org.aboutala/files/content/cd_13.1_TreasCounRptProgPrioritiesMW18FinalShow.pptx>
   ).
   -

   ALA Washington Office Associate Executive Director Kathi Kromer provided
   us with an update on ALA’s advocacy response to the White House budget
   where more than 5,000 emails were sent to members of Congress in the first
   24 hours!
   -

   We also had discussions about the FY2019 ALA budget and how we
   effectively use time at Council meetings, though no actions were taken.

Please email with thoughts or questions.
All the best,
Danielle

--
Danielle Jones
*Oregon Library Association ALA Chapter Councilor*