[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL - Manage Your Passwords with LastPass

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Jan 16 15:27:21 PST 2018

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library workers is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward.

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon. Enjoy!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

The State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site at www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADmxohVdpRGU1ghx8ncwp9VqObOjgcz-k-_h-T1q1xfyJ76Krayl-rAYhCBqS4sqhOmtujtjvq3v5R0thTUnyDDiO0rQf20iwtfg==&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>.

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH (case sensitive)
Contact Darci Hanning at darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[LastPass]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADmxUGouGcUCZkkFoG8lHV8O_Hgw-R2VyV3UU0V8DP6AU-k2JPgYwkzMfN11Fb6VWiBpMRvrwHILfHZqHRS-Z8Ptw6Jo3rglKsSTnuJl_zPTU7OB4CV1Ul0khVVGW__bckBDoUc3VysNAdvuUCdeV97Mrt4JH6czjqJgnOcAiCtYgZ&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>

 This Week's Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL

1. VIDEO ...  Manage Your Passwords with LastPass
2. ARTICLE ... Manage Your Passwords with LastPass
3. COMMUNICATING ... In my opinion...

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADmxUGouGcUCZkkFoG8lHV8O_Hgw-R2VyV3UU0V8DP6AU-k2JPgYwkzMfN11Fb6VWiBpMRvrwHILfHZqHRS-Z8Ptw6Jo3rglKsSTnuJl_zPTU7OB4CV1Ul0khVVGW__bckBDoUc3VysNAdvuUCdeV97Mrt4JH6czjqJgnOcAiCtYgZ&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>. Enter the Username and Password!

Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL - Manage Your Passwords with LastPass
Intermediate

I was stunned the other day when I watched my daughter log-in to a social media platform with a password that included her name and birth year. I asked her why she didn't make this security measure "stronger" so that it was more secure.

Her response, "Mom, how am I supposed to remember so many passwords if I don't make it something I can recall easily? I use my laptop at home, my computer at work and my iPhone -- so I need to be able to get into my accounts from any device."

[strong password]

The conversation continued and I discovered that not only was she using really weak passwords, but only 3-4 different ones -- which were all similar. You can guess this prompted a conversation about the importance of protecting your information online.

My advice to her? Get a password manager. You can set it up once, use VERY strong passwords, and have access to it on multiple devices.

In case you've never used a password manager before, it automatically fills in forms on the internet for you ... including login fields. It recognizes where you are and will put in your username and password with just one click. Yes, they're safe to use. In fact, with them, you can feel comfortable devising a complex combination such as Ty83nf&*xx and making each account be different.

While there are a handful of really good no-cost choices out there, LastPass keeps topping the charts. PC Magazine cited it as their Editor's Choice because it offers a feature-rich, free version including most options a person needs.

You recognize the problem, right? I'm sure you have dozens of passwords ... maybe even hundreds. And some applications make you update your login credentials on a regular basis. Keeping track of them all, along with moving to an ever-more secure, (strong) password, is challenging. Fortunately there are web tools to assist you which are safe and secure.

If you haven't used a password manager before and have questions, let's take a look at how LastPass works at storing your credentials ... and keeping them safe.

How LastPass Works

Simply put, LastPass captures your credentials when you login to a secure site and enters them when you revisit the site. Plus you can use it when you're buying online.
With one click it will fill in your address, email and credit card information.

Also, your account will be synced across all the devices you choose. That way you can access your passwords no matter where you are (desktop, tablet, smart phone, etc...).

You can sign up for a free account at https://www.lastpass.com/<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADmxUGouGcUCZkg-GnCETNUQfJnOj37qzqXZT8fxx3zI5ZOQ68E3pqgUHpf9qdb1zMREnCZQCuUd63D2MnT8WBkBmyVMlR4AJ7JQ==&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>

[Lastpass]

[LastPass]

While the specific wording and flow will vary slightly depending on the browser you're using, here is what you can expect.

You'll be prompted to install a browser extension on your computer so that you can access this web tool. (An extension shows up as a tiny icon in the upper right corner of your screen, on the same level as the URL address bar.) The extension can be on as many browsers as you like.

To add LastPass to another browser, go to www.LastPass.com<http://www.LastPass.com> and click on the "Get LastPass free" button again. It will recognize which browser you're in and prompt you to install it. Once complete, you will need to click, on the LastPass icon and sign into your existing account (you're not creating a new one) to activate and use it.

Once installed, the LastPass "button" will show in your browser toolbar when you're logged in. It's square with three dots.

[LastPass Vault]

Storing Your Information in the "Vault

To access your online LastPass "vault" (this is where your information is stored), click on the red icon in your toolbar and pick Open my Vault from the drop-down list.

To use on mobile devices, download the LastPass mobile app -- and enter your account credentials to sync with your master account.

[mobile devices]

Three Ways to Add New Passwords

[add passwords]

1.    Add as You Go.

To add new passwords to your account, the easiest way is to just go about your daily work. When you come to a website where you enter a username and password, LastPass will prompt you to add it to your account.

You'll build up your list as you log into your online accounts.

2. Add Manually.

You can add passwords manually when you are logged into your vault by clicking on the red circle with the plus sign in the bottom right corner.

TIP: Before adding new passwords, create Folders so that your information can stay organized. To do this, when you mouse over the red plus circle, another option pops up with an option to create a new Folder.

[Add folder and new password]

[add new password]

When you click the red circle plus button, several options will be offered for new items in your account. Click the Password icon in the top left.

Enter the log-in details for that account.

TIP: If this is an account you log into on a regular basis, to make it a "Favorite" (bringing it to the top of your password list), click the Star icon in the bottom left corner. Then Save your new password.

[new password]

3.    Import from Another Platform.

If you already have your passwords saved in an Excel spreadsheet, or you use another password manager and want to make the switch, LastPass does offer an Import feature. See the help guide to transfer your existing log-ins to LastPass.

TIP: Be sure to download and use one of their templates to make sure your information is formatted correctly.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/d6c9154c-f74e-46cb-83ff-21d5b75c9d37.png]

Security Warning

As you may have noticed, many logins are now requiring stronger and stronger passwords for your protection.

So when you sign into your account with one that is considered weak, LastPass will alert you.

View Your Account Passwords

In your vault, passwords will be displayed by Favorites, Folder, and then Alphabetically within these lists. They even display the company icon so that you can visually choose a password quickly.

Use the toggles in the search bar at the top to open/close folders, view by list or grid and view small or larger icons/text.

[password list]

Log-in Using LastPass

There are a few different ways to log-in to an account using LastPass.

First, because it is a web tool, and not software on your computer, you must be logged into your account to use it. By default, the LastPass icon turns red (dark gray in Safari) when you have logged in and will turn gray (light gray in Safari) when you are logged out. To log in, click on the LastPass icon and enter your Email and Master Password.

When you want to log into a website, use one of these options:

1.  Click the red LastPass icon in your tool bar and choose All Items, then Passwords and scroll through to the item that you want.
2.  Click on the red LastPass icon and choose Open my Vault. Find the account you'd like to log into, mouse over it and choose Launch.
3.  Or, go to the website page you'd like to log into (example: www.Facebook.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADm2F3pZ91ejwU3quAsdVcY2E54Lkb9BId29EkU0_SPSfjYxnBDbbAIWjt8O_KsKG6gAHHHf76Ww7vJJui0pkuUv4SwIlLcwpeww==&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>). Click on the red LastPass icon and that site will appear at the top of the list (if you have a password set up). Click the option to Fill.

Not Just for Passwords

LastPass offers other options and protection for your secure information. Use it to:

·     Create strong passwords with their password generator.
·     Store Notes that need to remain secure.
·     Fill Forms with your personal information.
·     Store credit card numbers and input into forms for making online purchases.
·     Share passwords with others securely.

NOTE: When you sign up for the free version, LastPass "unlocks" some premium features for the first 30 days of use as a courtesy. When that expires it's fine to stay at the basic level. It has what you need as an individual.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Talking / Writing
In my opinion...

There was a TV show about a law firm called The Good Wife. As with most legal shows, you would occasionally see an attorney in court, addressing the judge.

One episode had a delightful sub-theme throughout about how one should talk to the magistrate. That particular judge required every lawyer's statement to include the words "in my opinion". Yes, even when stating a presumed "fact".

If you watched that episode, you would have been treated to hearing "in my opinion" many, many times. Sometimes at the beginning of the sentence, but more often as an after-thought, tagged on to the end.

The quirkiness of the judge aside, the idea of using the phrase "in my opinion" is quite clever from a communications perspective. It softens what you say, without diluting it.

Also, pairing your ideas with the phrase "in my opinion" shows respect for the individual you're talking to and indicates an openness for future dialogue.

So for instance, you ask someone to arrange a story hour for Halloween ... and you have additional ideas of what might make it a great event, instead of saying:

"Be sure to include costumes."
or
"You might want to include costumes."
You could say:
"In my opinion, costumes would be nice."
or
"Costumes would nice, in my opinion."

So as you're giving ideas or asking for cooperation, try spicing up your conversation with "in my opinion". When you look for it, you'll see that you can use it in many situations. It will increase buy-in, support and cooperation.

[innovation]

 CLICK HERE ... for the TECH-TALK LIBRARY!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADmxohVdpRGU1ghx8ncwp9VqObOjgcz-k-_h-T1q1xfyJ76Krayl-rAYhCBqS4sqhOmtujtjvq3v5R0thTUnyDDiO0rQf20iwtfg==&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>

NOTE: Forgot your user ID? See your sponsor block at the top of this email.
Problems? Contact us at Support at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:Support at Tech-Talk.com>

 YOU CAN ASK A QUESTION!

Do you have an idea for an article, or a problem using technology in some way...

We can help! CLICK HERE<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001APjlBBLrGS7rUvy2hNwkCMmgz-wiPgMGjI81UznLonKsNQw_NZADm-ehLOy193jCUQ0t39Zll-GkXBhjEAkGk4MNFP1DJ177llpitt_cAbnJ50qCgG8g6MZopaD-gMwHzyMKJ4ukvYBXuvjMcYagosszLdVKReZTbBaLv4afIVA=&c=YBMHuN4gnUmji8UrnLdZKmayEQmzlynLCTbfmySLpY4E9qCzf31-sw==&ch=-xhqEbI-WgjyxTEWXL0Oux2U6dRcr-oaydDI1wDXh0Qw1iU0FwVqPQ==>.

Just contact us and we'll get the answer for you right away.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/464c50f5-0d77-4705-bb24-bf95437ce585.jpg]

Copyright 1996-2017 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant