[Libs-Or] Civics workshops

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Tue Jul 17 15:46:05 PDT 2018

Hello, everyone. Hope you are managing to stay relatively cool!

This summer, apart from fostering kittens [I have a Facebook page for them
if ya'll want to check it out], woodworking, and continuing advocacy on
community issues, I am gearing up for a busy new "season" of civics
workshops. Whether it's misinformation, the Constitution, elections/campaign
finance or citizen advocacy, I find that my interest and my research skills
result in constant efforts to learn more, and to refine my workshops.

The fall will be particularly challenging for all of us to track election
developments. And, the new, "long" state legislative session in 2019 should
be very interesting.

The Constitution workshop now discusses not only the creation of the
Constitution but the application of the Bill of Rights to the states over
time [they only applied to federal laws for most of our history] and some
considerations of who actually interprets the Constitution for us.

The workshops are non-partisan. The knowledge and tools I provide to people
can be used by anyone for any reason.

Several workshops are scheduled for the fall; I'll have a flyer sometime
next month.

Feedback is welcome about: would libraries/library systems like some type of
professional development 1/2 -day workshop? It could be geared to the type
of knowledge covered in all the workshops. This could help libraries decide
if they want to develop some in-house talent around any of the topics.

One more thing: I've postponed a trip to the coast 'til the spring. Please
let me know - especially libraries from north to mid-Coast, if you are
interested.

PS A heads-up - for 2019, the cost of the workshops will be $350. Between
ongoing development and customization to locations, I spend far more time on
them than may be obvious. I'm sure I could earn more if I was a traditional
librarian but this undertaking is one I have devoted myself to, for a number
of reasons.

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net

Civics for Adults Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Keep up-to-date: Facebook:
<https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/  and/or let me
know if you want to be on the Civics email list.