[Libs-Or] State Librarian search update

Buzzy Nielsen, OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Tue Jul 31 17:02:11 PDT 2018

After conducting a search and two rounds of finalist interviews, the
Governor's Office has decided to reevaluate the recruitment for State
Librarian and keep searching for candidates. This decision was made with
strong consideration of the views of State Library staff, the State Library
Board, and the Oregon Library Association.

The State Librarian of Oregon is a unique position, as they manage not only
the Library Development and Talking Books functions shared by many other
state libraries, but also Government Information and Library Services and
its work with other state agencies. It is no easy task to find someone who
can address the needs of all of the State Library of Oregon's stakeholders,
especially when you add the Legislative Assembly to the mix as well.

Speaking as OLA President, I consider this reevaluation an opportunity to
improve upon the process. There are definitely aspects of this search that
could be improved, including its openness, screening methods, and
involvement by stakeholders. We plan to work with the Governor's Office,
State Library Board, State Library staff, and others in the library
community to identify next steps, process improvements, and potential new
candidates.

It's disappointing that we were unable to find a candidate this round.
However, I am also heartened that the Governor's Office is committed to
finding the right person for this difficult job, just as are all of the
stakeholders.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or leads on potential
candidates, please send them my way. And thank you for your involvement and
support in the State Library thus far.

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

--
OLA President, 2017-18
olapresident at olaweb.org
541-447-7978 x301

*You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the
world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself! ~The
Doctor*