[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: NEW Slice for You ... the "BEST 5" (a gift from us)

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Mar 7 08:45:26 PST 2018

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library workers is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward.

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon. Enjoy!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

The State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site at www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-pMHmWjjoUKpMPvPOTyZuojVmZxtfjoVH4hmsVQWYwuqjZVaXcsf7_XqWKJ2jFGZFP3_mpmqzfzyKch99ihX_wC4UsXgi0VP9w==&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>.

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH (case sensitive)
Contact Darci Hanning at darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[Best 5]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1LoBRZfdUnyDeSYNkUIispe4j7sH9UXFXTwjN0vtTdyekmMJLSAfKFQtu3j3lt7kvvT9kVPbVYerKDqksetXU4_RwWMBnNRRwq&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>

 This Week's Tech-Talk: Best 5

1. VIDEO ... A NEW Slice for You ... the "BEST 5"
2. ARTICLE ... A NEW Slice for You ... the "BEST 5"
3. COMMUNICATING ... Mobile etiquette, what will you do?

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1LoBRZfdUnyDeSYNkUIispe4j7sH9UXFXTwjN0vtTdyekmMJLSAfKFQtu3j3lt7kvvT9kVPbVYerKDqksetXU4_RwWMBnNRRwq&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>. Enter the Username and Password!

Tech-Talk: A NEW Slice for You ... the "BEST 5" (a gift from us)
Novice, Intermediate, Advanced

Do you triple-click with your computer mouse?

If you do ... you know how much time it can save you! If you don't, you might want to explore these simple and mighty techniques. (See this article<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1L2-rNo4kcGFcMjiFA01JF34UouzYHn1Irinptes_QyAiU5JK8tHkFADYtp3kb77E02iwogXos9Zm289VkqwAIIxzA2BfOtgm3b76bdwKA6abu7GrmWWSraj7XDEoLHxdD&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>.)

Grabbing an entire paragraph and moving it to a new location is when triple-clicking comes in handy. Whether you "cut and paste" or "drag and drop," instantly highlighting all the sentences at once is magical.

What about double-clicking? (You can highlight a single word instantly and drag it to a different place ... instead of maneuvering the mouse from one side to the other.) Learn more about these techniques in this previous Tech-Talk article.<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1L2-rNo4kcGFcMjiFA01JF34UouzYHn1Irinptes_QyAiU5JK8tHkFADYtp3kb77E02iwogXos9Zm289VkqwAIIxzA2BfOtgm3b76bdwKA6abu7GrmWWSraj7XDEoLHxdD&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>

Shift vs. Ctrl Clicking

Have you tried holding the Ctrl key down and clicking once? You'll get the entire sentence so you can cut, copy or move it more quickly. What happens when you continue clicking on other sentences … should you hold the Shift or the Ctrl key? Find out in this article<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1LSyFjdtyiPP_SrVTg-knF72qTwsp6arkjb0KBmylVPKvrDckZx5Jsbo5D594IfUpz2kLc8E42gaGymyCbJvs4zBxprZCgDyNbTKL5GNAu5MoR8tJTE11wehURCrd93f2p&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/d9d3e6bc-7c0a-4e2f-aae9-514530a24f4d.png]

ANNOUNCEMENT! The ideas above, and many more, are gems presented in past issues of Tech-Talk dating back over the years! Because we (the editors) know of them and use them continually, we wanted to make sure you had quick access to them!

That's why we culled through all the articles in the membership database and found the best of the best. We put them in categories to make it easy for you to decide which ones would help you most. We typically chose only five so that you could get them "under your belt" without feeling overwhelmed.

Hidden Gems

[Best 5]

With over 800 articles in the Tech-Talk library, not only will you find keyboard techniques such as these that save you hours of time, you'll see ideas for...

·     Working in Word, with Tables
·     Excel Formula and Formatting Fixes
·     Creative Presentations
·     The Art of Presenting
·     Being Productive with Email
·     Get Better Results From Your Email
·     Moving Quickly Between Docs & Programs
·     Using the Features of Windows 10
·     Free/Low Cost "Must Have" Web Tools
·     Graphics - Tools and Sources
·     Creative Graphic Ideas for Word & PPT
·     Understanding & Using Social Media for Your Organization
·     Web Tools for Working Together Online

All of these (with more to come) are in your Tech-Talk membership site. https://www.tech-talk.com/best-5<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1LoBRZfdUnyDeSYNkUIispe4j7sH9UXFXTwjN0vtTdyekmMJLSAfKFQtu3j3lt7kvvT9kVPbVYerKDqksetXU4_RwWMBnNRRwq&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>

[Best 5]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cuUXUVHXz09TXnNwbtMZMpG5iwXnBjiNvDZ91XiJlXGnUDgX5Zg3-sQLMmpIIU1LoBRZfdUnyDeSYNkUIispe4j7sH9UXFXTwjN0vtTdyekmMJLSAfKFQtu3j3lt7kvvT9kVPbVYerKDqksetXU4_RwWMBnNRRwq&c=8oJYgI84ESxOi8R2g2LZsnTVfZQE5DJsk19ob_d9C_wegAE2pRq4lw==&ch=VlrRzK9LF8LdSYdweF2eaHHaifstmte-XpnEIsigfJ4JyZtR6v-E5g==>

Tech-Talk.com – There Are Several Ways To Get What You Need!

Visit the Tech-Talk membership area. (Your user name and password is at the top of every article, near your organization's logo.) It can help you find solutions in several different ways...

[Best 5]

In the right column on every page you can view these options:

·     Search by keyword or phrase. Type in text such as column, sort by color, lock cells.

·     Choose by category such as Excel or Graphics. There's a drop down list with all your choices.

·     See the most Recent Articles when you want to revisit something you saw in the past couple of months.

·     Visit the BEST 5 gems we've curated for you.

·     Submit a question or request an article topic. We respond within one day.

There's More!

When you're viewing a tip, at the bottom of it, you'll see a list of "Related Posts" that you could find helpful as well.

For instance, at the end of an article titled "Send a Delayed Email (Outlook and Gmail)" -- these four tips are displayed that offer additional ideas on this topic.

[Best 5]