[Libs-Or] re influence and transparency

Julia_Sathler at LB9.uscourts.gov Julia_Sathler at LB9.uscourts.gov
Fri Mar 16 09:27:36 PDT 2018

Hello Oregon librarians,

I lurk on this wonderful list, not having much to contribute as a federal
librarian. But as an Oregon librarian, I wanted to drop a note to express
my personal (not my employer's) wish that Oregon librarians are afforded
both influence and transparency in this matter.  Assurances of being heard
without evidence of influence only fans the flames (of feeling powerless).
 To have real influence, one must have transparency.

My first thought was: if we are not aware of the specific failures cited
by the governor and legislature, how can we as a profession avoid these
failures in the future?   Any time a leader who is so obviously
well-respected in her profession is dismissed with without a specific
reason, we feel powerless -- first, because we had no influence, and
second, because we also realize this could also happen to us in a similar
circumstance.  It does not build confidence in the governance process or
feeling of security in our profession and for our jobs.

I am hoping that there is some information gathering going on, and that
what is missing will be provided soon, so everyone can understand what
happened and how to move forward.

Julia

 Julia Sathler | Branch Librarian
 Ninth Circuit Library | Portland Branch | 1000 SW Third Ave., 7A40 |
Portland, OR 97204
 Hatfield (503) 326-8140 | Pioneer (503) 833-5310 | Email | Public Website