[Libs-Or] County rejects cuts to library funding | News | heraldandnews.com

Ruth Metz ruthmetz at spiretech.com
Sun May 13 06:59:11 PDT 2018

Kudos to Nathalie johnston and community....
https://www.heraldandnews.com/content/tncms/live/

County rejects cuts to library funding
By STEPHEN FLOYD H&N Staff Reporter
May 9, 2018
The Klamath County Budget Committee reversed its previous decision to reduce the property tax rate for the Library Service District following impassioned public testimony during a hearing Tuesday afternoon.

In a unanimous decision, the committee voted to keep the rate at $0.49 per $1,000 of assessed value for the 2018-19 fiscal year. The committee reserved the right to revisit a potential reduction for the following fiscal year.

The committee voted April 24 to reduce the rate to $0.44 in light of high budget overruns at the end of recent fiscal years. The library’s expected overrun this year is around $1.5 million, while it was $1.15 million in 2017, $1.2 million in 2016 and $968,000 in 2015.

Library Director Nathalie Johnston said it is important for the district to have enough carryover at the end of the year to pay for services until property taxes come due in November. When voting to set the rate at $0.44, the committee accounted for a $700,000 rollover.

Clear public support

However, a public hearing was required to set the rate and had not taken place prior to April 24. The committee set the hearing for Tuesday and, during the public comment portion, residents did not mince words about the value they place in the library.

“The stronger our libraries are, the more services they provide, the better off the community is going to be,” said resident Dwight Long.

“The Klamath Count Library system is one of our crown jewels and I just think we should leave the funding the way it is,” said resident George Meyer.

Out of more than 30 people to take the podium, all were in favor of keeping library funding the same. Many cited previous voter approval for creation of the library district as a sign the community wanted to maintain services. Others said the library was so important there would be a huge pushback from voters if the county cut funding.

“If you try to take away funding, I think you’re in for a fight, and I think you deserve it,” said resident Michael Lamb.

Value to the community

One comment stood above all others and was the deciding factor for County Commissioner Derrick DeGroot. He said, as a number’s guy, he believed a reduction in the tax rate was justifiable. But the words of resident Annica Palmer made him reconsider a strict mathematical approach to the issue.

“I get that you’re saying you’re not taking away from the library, but you’re taking away that feeling of a community that wants to put more into the library,” said Palmer, who explained the library was one of the reasons she moved her family to Klamath Falls in 2016.

DeGroot said, based on Palmer’s comments alone and the idea of maintaining community spirit, he was willing to keep the library tax rate at $0.49.

Palmer said she was not expecting to have such an impact and said it was “shocking” to hear DeGroot respond to her words. She said she now wants to interact more with county business and encouraged other public commenters to be “brave” in making their remarks.

Drought concerns

Commissioner Donnie Boyd, who had proposed the tax reduction, chose to vote in favor of keeping the current rate after he learned the impact an expected drought could have on the library district. Boyd said the drought could lead to a $100,000 drop in revenue next year as farmland loses its value and, for this reason, he was willing to wait until next year to reexamine a tax reduction.

“The water shutoff is becoming more imminent every single day,” said Boyd.

Commissioner Kelley Minty Morris voted against the tax reduction last month and on Tuesday said she still believes the library budget is worth keeping in tact. She said the turnout for the hearing — which was well past standing room only — showed how much the community supports library services.

“It’s really clear that people love our library system,” she said.

Tuesday’s hearing concluded the budget committee’s duties for the next fiscal year. County commissioners are expected to approve the committee’s recommendation by June 19.

Sent from my iPhone