[Libs-Or] State Librarian job is open

Buzzy Nielsen, OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Tue May 15 11:11:29 PDT 2018

***** Please forgive cross-postings *****

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that progress is being made to find our next State
Librarian. The position is now open for applications on the State's
website. The State Library Board, staff, and Oregon Library Association
have been working with the Governor's office to craft the job
announcement/description to ensure that we get strong candidates. The
listing is below. Applications are due on June 4.
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oregon/jobs/2042744/state-librarian

Right now, we are working on ensuring that the job announcement gets shared
widely. Among other places, it is listed on ALA JobLIST and will be posted
on the ARSL listserv and PNLA website. However, we could use your help.
Could you please share the posting to other listservs and websites, too?
PUBLIB, SLA lists, various ALA divisions, or wherever you feel might
attract qualified applicants would be fantastic.

In terms of timeline, next up will be review of applications following the
due date on June 4. After speaking with the Governor's office, we are
confident that several stakeholder groups - including the Board, staff, and
OLA - will be involved in reviewing applications and interviewing
candidates. Next week, OLA  lobbyist Amanda Dalton and I will meet with
Senate leadership to discuss expectations and ensure that our next State
Librarian - and the State Library and the rest of its staff - are set up
for success.

MaryKay Dahlgreen's unexpected dismissal has definitely been a lesson for
me, and I'm guessing for many of you, too. Right now, OLA is focusing on
supporting the State Library and its staff and helping ensure that we get
an effective State Librarian to lead the agency on the next step in its
journey. Thank you to all of you for contacting the Governor's office and
your Senator; your message was heard, and that's helped us as we craft the
process for finding a new State Librarian.

Thanks especially to the State Library staff, who have kept things running
smoothly throughout the chaos. While we're not quite through everything
yet, I think that we're on a great path to ensuring long-term stability for
the State Library and all of the great services they provide to the state
government, print-disabled patrons, and the other libraries within the
state.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

--
OLA President, 2017-18
olapresident at olaweb.org
541-447-7978 x301

*You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the
world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself! ~The
Doctor*