[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults Update - last workshop of season tomorrow

D Cohen dcohen at hevanet.com
Fri Nov 16 13:54:08 PST 2018

Hi all,

Civics Update November 14, 2018

Last workshop of 2018!

3:30 Saturday at Oregon City Public Library

New legislative session starts in January. Be ready to navigate the state legislative database of bills and find out how to submit “testimony” [aka your thoughts] for Hearings. Learn how “lobby days” work. [There is one coming up for libraries on Feb 12.]  Citizen Activism 101 - Making Change Happen! [Here is a flyer describing all the workshops:  <http://www.civicthinker.net/Civics%20Workshop%20Resources/CivicsForAdults-Fall2018.pdf> http://www.civicthinker.net/Civics%20Workshop%20Resources/CivicsForAdults-Fall2018.pdf ]

Selected Facebook posts:

Election results for the state of Oregon.  <http://results.oregonvotes.gov/Default.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1v36GrmLVn5_1eFb7mVmY8XXKxVrViMOYnb9PYGNeronCd8d7qtfBL6DM> http://results.oregonvotes.gov/Default.aspx

For Washington state:  <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fresults.vote.wa.gov%2Fresults%2Fcurrent%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR03TKUeA2DVA8lzobqVNNb-9Ay5QvoOaDhdXA9-Yx63xB256tjMUJJFBQE&h=AT0ANDssAMZTLhRgoGZpqokC2ltxI9oKbxABW12QPWDyzBAwFdewLSQVtM90Y58VmbBvL-KxZ24dNVMadMkPYs_4zoOE3i9jz29d3rZ2YEqqTDjdbGD2zvohB5oqVi43A40Q> https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/

***

I feel for all the parents that have to face the onslaught of toy ads. Perhaps this will help a bit?

Toy Ads from Media Literacy Clearinghouse

 <http://frankwbaker.com/mlc/toys/?fbclid=IwAR3ai0AvQRQOyyxA0d7ub8GmLbkB0xGsTfzFwne2DN3rKLo-kPWD1j-xHLs> http://frankwbaker.com/mlc/toys/

***

Wise words from Doris Kearns Goodwin [who is on a couple of the short videos I show in my workshops].

Doris Kearns Goodwin & Walter Isaacson’s Midterm Reactions

 <http://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-and-company/video/doris-kearns-goodwin-walter-isaacsons-midterm-reactions-0adv/?fbclid=IwAR3Kgd43PZfCvdJ46hhJn3P_yxIPQ_u-GF6XAt_DK0SDhb1lQnJw_HMxLvY> http://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-and-company/video/doris-kearns-goodwin-walter-isaacsons-midterm-reactions-0adv/?fbclid=IwAR3Kgd43PZfCvdJ46hhJn3P_yxIPQ_u-GF6XAt_DK0SDhb1lQnJw_HMxLvY

***

Here is more on British Columbia's effort to look at moving toward a system of proportional representation. It's a bit complicated except for the clear notion - as stated in one part of the video - that the governing body is made up of the proportions of party members which won the election. E.g. If 10% of the votes went to one party, then that party would have 10% of the governing body reserved for it.

Our system - "first-past-the-post" or "winner-takes-all" is the outlier, among advanced governments in the world.

https://www.facebook.com/doubleblindscience/videos/285272182088375/

***

Here are some of the pro-democracy ballot measures nationally that passed Tuesday. Good gains on automatic voter registration, redistricting, etc.

***

For the first time ever, over 100 women were elected to the United States House of Representatives.

***

People waiting to vote in the first South African election in 1994. Nelson Mandela was elected. I lived in Botswana [just north of SA] for the 2 years prior to the election; left one week before. Exciting time.

***

This is voter suppression. I’m limiting my posts about suppression efforts or it would be non-stop posting. 🙁

 <http://www.wlrn.org/post/counties-place-polls-gated-communities-florida-voters-are-left-out> http://www.wlrn.org/post/counties-place-polls-gated-communities-florida-voters-are-left-out

Unfortunately, Georgia has been the “poster child” for voter suppression efforts this year.

***

>From Rick Steves, on PBS. The Story of Fascism in Europe

 <https://www.pbs.org/video/the-story-of-fascism-in-europe-pthanf/?fbclid=IwAR1xVn5BJdE92ELlir-wAKvFEISvCPlsJVT-ap0CiN9A5WN33GdOR9Wd64U> https://www.pbs.org/video/the-story-of-fascism-in-europe-pthanf/?fbclid=IwAR1xVn5BJdE92ELlir-wAKvFEISvCPlsJVT-ap0CiN9A5WN33GdOR9Wd64U

***

Comparative information on voter turnout among developed countries

 <http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/05/21/u-s-voter-turnout-trails-most-developed-countries/?fbclid=IwAR1o-sTqzu0n5-yw2QiQ5knV6pzokt6qf7aB2QMgDo08-T43lwrx7UQtadY> http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/05/21/u-s-voter-turnout-trails-most-developed-countries/?fbclid=IwAR1o-sTqzu0n5-yw2QiQ5knV6pzokt6qf7aB2QMgDo08-T43lwrx7UQtadY

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net <mailto:citizen at civicthinker.net>

Civics for Adults Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/> https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/  or contact to be on Civics email list.

“My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!” Rep. John Lewis.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net

“My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!” Rep. John Lewis.   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY