[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: MOBILE – Make Your Smart Phone a "Hotspot"

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu Sep 13 09:57:30 PDT 2018

Hello!

Word has it that a Tech-Talk Newsletter a day helps keep the gremlins away so for this week, I’ll be sending out a backlog of previous newsletters (three) in addition to this week’s edition. (My apologies, I’ve been out of the office more than in, unfortunately so I’m playing catchup).

Here’s the third issue from the backlog:

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: MOBILE

1. VIDEO ... Make Your Smart Phone a "Hotspot"
2. ARTICLE ... Make Your Smart Phone a "Hotspot"
3. COMMUNICATING ... Tips for Showing Respect With Cell Phones

[Internet hotspot]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gDRhB_qiYuPouij2DZhKG14-YO7dPbjwAmJEgABI3KpYzSWdBAjDWpUs7CEmK3dhGnJIzmwAkxThhLYJGoxSkUWhYNNifbdvE1dHdJnznb-2hkvtmMhaC1AJQ8LY4r17_uMt0h3j_4Cr6OiTvxQTqDM=&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==>

Photo by Josh Hild<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gDRhB_qiYuPoNfZg0G5IUqM4wEP2_wr53HNCIJom6bw_rBkjO2vOyLV9KJmZAbhaT0YIpIaUry4DghPBnjXdYehiXvaIs0xnHpjtmzIqVdk_Ygwb65_hILpUNAEC6iKNe2_xH0GjbSxsZQzm3l2HlHX_QbzkVAv9EVJIKw7WyrQTJg1s073T4zT5rpurzaMW1bcKgDuiivUK-D4y8rcmgtlfMfhczd7acA==&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gDRhB_qiYuPoh0HutKXiQ3H7CuYYwQzki31fRYtBQqJdt1uofXBw4L-qM0RsaFrIB3VPjiyTNVy2Iwns7jzteRPilfOmhTpz0DpnlaxD45QG7WWEFM85wn_WJIHWVUe7MxL5wCXiQYnPBsjtqB7KSGCOuy9XX7dCh_-PT7YIt3MPAeme902IWWXX4UaDbhiUH1bh4voM_O3x3juW5L0ECJW_cdKNKsnwlg==&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Archives<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gCaRwdZIPFVNRk4elDMr1CDLdK4juhVWplIvU9rV0cYjkDuIo5H4ZNohm6bWobJGRb5reViGZt691TzJAbXS5Z24IZ3fHPRgn3864rkd_DZO&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

MOBILE - Make Your Smart Phone a "Hotspot"
Intermediate

I was working from my home office the other day and my Internet went down. I called my provider and was told that it could be out for several hours. I could have gone to my local library or another public place that would allow me to connect, but I only needed to go online for less than an hour and didn't want to drive anywhere.

How can I get my project finished with no Internet? In a few clicks I make my iPhone a "Hotspot" ... and connect my LAPTOP to it! Now I can work on my computer and get to the internet.

[Hotspot]

You probably know the term, W-Fi Hotspot, as they are common in public places like restaurants, hotels… and your local library. Hotspots allow you to go online when you are away from your home or work network. TIP: Learn more about how to make connecting to public Wi-Fi safer in this Tech-Talk article<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gDRhB_qiYuPoGLqLKxZ02FubyasS4Tt08hKoE-X0LjyMrd18BfNi6phMUQr0Iu2Ll5mLzd9hQvqu8D9yf2eCPLZ_hYgvUcclG6sC_nCA7McUyQaoZtZntvt1eQbAtuWo9D9flRH1FKQtb1ryRv_RHPE=&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==>.

As smart phones have advanced, so have the features. Depending on your carrier and plan, you may be able to turn your mobile phone into your very own Wi-Fi Hotspot and connect other devices -- like your laptop, tablet or e-book reader. If your smartphone has the capability to use a 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE cellular data connection to connect to the Internet, creating a mobile Hotspot is possible.

CAUTION: Although many cell phone plans offer the Hotspot feature at no additional cost, you are using data and you may need to monitor your usage. Additionally, some plans offer this option at an extra monthly charge. So before you try and use the Hotspot feature on your phone, be sure to check with your provider to see if it is included in your plan, and if so, ask if there are extra charges for it.

Mobile Hotspot Vs Tethering?

Let's clarify the difference between what is known as "Tethering" and a Mobile Hotspot.

Tethering refers to connecting a mobile phone to a computer. You can tether with a USB cord or a Bluetooth connection. When Internet tethering is done via Wi-Fi, it is also considered a Mobile Hotspot.

Why Would You Want to Make Your Phone a Hotspot?

[internet cafe]

·     Avoid access charges at some public Hotspots.

·     Using your phone is more secure than using public W-Fi. Your connection is password protected so that only you (and anyone you give access to) are connected.

·     In situations where you don't have other Internet access, your smartphone is a great option.

What to be Mindful of...

·     Find out from your cell phone provider what your data plan covers. There could be charges if you have a usage cap -- and you exceed it. If you have a limited allowance, only use your phone as a Hotspot for a short time.

·     Your phone's battery will be drained more quickly when other devices are connected.

·     When you're finished using your smartphone as a Hotspot, turn the function off so that you don't accidentally stay connected to it when you're back home or in the office.

Make Your iPhone a Personal Hotspot

[Hotspot on iPhone]

Start by going to Settings.

·     Look for Personal Hotspot

·     Or you may need to find Mobile Data first.

·     Then choose Personal Hotspot.

[Turn on mobile hotspot]

·     Toggle the Personal Hotspot button to On so the button turns green.

·     Create a Password if one is not already set up (this is not your Apple ID, but a new one).

·     Now from your other device, like a laptop or tablet, go to your Internet Settings and select the name of your personal Hotspot (in most cases it will be your name) and enter the password.

·     Remember to turn off the mobile Hotspot when you're finished using it.

Make Your Android Phone a Personal Hotspot

The instructions for Android phones vary based on the manufacturer. Look for these types of options:

·     Start at Settings and under More find Wireless & Networks or Network & Internet.

·     Look for an option named something like Hotspot & Tethering, Portable Hotspot, or Tethering and select it.

·     You may be prompted to choose Set up Wi-Fi Hotspot.

·     Add a Password and Save it.

·     Select Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot to enable.

[Enable Wi-fi]

·     Now from your other device, like a laptop or tablet, go to your Internet Settings and select the name of your personal Hotspot (in most cases it will be your name) and enter the password.

·     Don't forget to go back into Settings to turn off the mobile Hotspot when you're done using it.

NOTE: If you don't see the Hotspot option, or you receive an error message, you will need to contact your provider and find out if you can set up a mobile Hotspot on your plan.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Cell Phones
Show respect to others with these tips

Everyone is using cell phones these days. When you walk down the street you see people either talking into the air (with an earbud) or holding the phone alongside their head.

You meet friends for lunch, go to a meeting or attend a public event with a cellular device at your side, and your phone rings; theirs rings. Answering immediately is tempting!

Or you decide (in the middle of a conversation) that you need to look up something on the phone, check the time or answer a text. All of these actions (interrupting the time you have with others) used to be considered rude. And perhaps it still is.

Two Ways to Modify Cell Phone Interruptions

1. Announce Your Actions. If you must look up something on your phone when you're talking to someone ... or even just sitting with another person ... show respect by announcing what you are going to do and possibly why. NOTE: The why doesn't have to be detailed and revealing, but sharing something goes a long way to making the other person feel as if they matter.

·     I'm going to check the time because my daughter gets out of school at 2.
·     Let me look that up now, so we'll find out what "tethering" means.

2. Think Twice in Public Places. You're in a movie and a text comes in. It won't take but a minute to check. But here's the problem. The screen light is brilliant to everyone else in the theater, taking the attention over to you, away from the movie.

OK, it's not life-threatening, but it feels rude to everyone else. It's a needless interruption for one person's unwillingness to wait until the movie is over. Before cell phones, we had to wait until we returned home and answered the voice mail.

If it's an emergency situation, and you feel you need to answer it, great, get up and move to a more private location out of respect.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gOK85rVMnqdUfJwGs2aWhcSQAYjrmyMEw5Fotikg7aIhdfqMBoFrRpItsX9GpV4A0voOArjNsmQzjtiwYq19O-VPrDQrDdosPnfi5RYQhSwk&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001iwwdQiOOz54DYgCxsQRW4SSEpkbeBFizEi7VNbwXrK1s6BVPRD9_gF7JoyDHnEabMgma3Pq4mE948woik7rV9E8eTNZ-7D9sbsm7B8OJNXVF_ZQs7CEAsW_S9Qil5CmczjNMPWBJZg5iPHNyrOHAtJ5lyFZDnuAxQPLT7LJTaEw=&c=gpSGd9d5cEdTmaFNM0WS8_mSmTD3Sa5N0dMREW7ZlFrO4bVTmyjDGg==&ch=nh9JBfuSGKoRy9C61w4DkcF2aaGnD5JA6yv3jDqUcRNQbbd75NwOeg==>

Copyright 1996-2018 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on Libs-OR? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
Ask me about the Edge Initiative<http://oregonedge.net/>!
[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]