[Libs-Or] Save the date for Call for Requests to host National Library of Medicine exhibit, "Politics of Yellow Fever in Alexander Hamilton's America"

Carolyn M Martin martinc4 at uw.edu
Thu Aug 1 09:02:46 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) has a wonderful program of traveling exhibits that focus on history, literature, health issues and professions. They consist of banners but there is online content as well. The banners allow for programming and collaborating with organizations in your community such as a school, a health clinic, an academic institution, or community organization.

The NLM Exhibition Program has an upcoming opportunity to host one of their newer exhibits. Please read the announcement below and I recommend subscribing to their listserv<https://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=MAKING-EXHIBITION-CONNECTIONS&A=1> for more timely and official announcements.

Are you interested in being one of the first to host our newest traveling banner exhibition Politics of Yellow Fever in Alexander Hamilton's America<https://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/politicsofyellowfever/index.html>?  If you are, please SAVE THE DATE, August 12, 2019, when our new initiative, Exhibitions Connect, will open a Call for Requests for hosting Politics of Yellow Fever.   This six-banner traveling exhibition explores how party politics shaped the response to the yellow fever epidemic in 1793 Philadelphia where Philadelphians confronted yellow fever in the absence of an effective cure or consensus about the origins of the disease.  Medical professionals, early political parties, and private citizens seized on the epidemic to advance their respective agendas. As a result, Philadelphia's sick and dying received medical care informed as much by politics as by the best available science.  Politics of Yellow Fever tells the story of how Philadelphia's sick, anxious residents responded to yellow fever using an uneasy blend of science and politics.

Find out about Exhibitions Connect through the NLM InFocus article at:   https://infocus.nlm.nih.gov/2019/07/11/exhibitions-connect-how-partners-bring-nlm-health-information-resources-to-communities-across-america/

To learn about our new Call for Requests process for hosting an NLM traveling banner exhibition, please visit our website at: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/about/exhibition/booktraveling-exhibitionsconnect.html

Please subscribe to the Making Exhibition Connection listserv as that is the only place where the official Call for Requests is made for this and future opportunities: https://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=MAKING-EXHIBITION-CONNECTIONS&A=1

You can find a curated collection of health information resources, training and promotional materials related to the "Politics of Yellow Fever" exhibition, at the free-of-charge NLM/NNLM Moodle Course at https://nnlm.gov/user/login?moodle_url=true&destination=course/view.php?id=84.  An NNLM account is required for access along with the enrollment key "connect."

Carolyn Martin, MLS, AHIP | Consumer Health Coordinator
NNLM Pacific Northwest Region
University of Washington Health Sciences Library
Box 357155
Seattle, WA 98195-7155
206-221-3449
martinc4 at uw.edu<mailto:martinc4 at uw.edu>