[Libs-Or] Report Intellectual Freedom Challenges to State Library (by 7/31)

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Tue Jul 16 12:15:20 PDT 2019

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi,

Have there been any challenges to intellectual freedom at your library this past year (July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019)? If so, please report them by July 31st.

Challenges may include any of the following:

*         Materials challenge (books, movies, music, magazines, digital content)

*         Internet-related challenge (filtering issues, access to computers, use policies)

*         Library service (meeting rooms, programs, authors visits, exhibits, displays, hold shelf practices)

*         Patron privacy or confidentiality (personally identifiable information, circulation records)

*         Hate crime (defacement of library property to target a specific group; use of swastikas or other symbols of intimidation, harassment, or assault on library property)

To report challenges, please fill out this online form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeG-TU5RfyGpgLDeM9lpYD8QoAIT8vu9wsCGFahO9R-lw-f6Q/viewform>, and please report each instance separately. The State Library will receive the submissions.

Unsure about whether something rises to the level of being worth reporting? Report it anyway. The more information we have, the better picture we can paint about the intellectual freedom landscape in Oregon.

Questions? A few answers to frequently asked questions<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/c.php?g=843530&p=6029014> are on the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse (OIFC) website<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc/home>. If you have additional questions or need clarification, please contact me.

As a reminder, the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse is a service of the State Library of Oregon. It was established in 1987 with the primary mission to collect and compile information about intellectual freedom issues at libraries in Oregon. The OIFC also provides information to libraries to help them prepare for and address intellectual freedom issues. In this capacity, we also participate on the Oregon Library Association Intellectual Freedom Committee.

Thanks,
Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant