[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: WINDOWS – Oh No! What Did Windows Update Do to My Work?

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Jul 17 08:31:56 PDT 2019

[The newsletter is below this short request]

Greetings!

As you may be aware, the State Library of Oregon uses LSTA funds (which are provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services) to pay for the distribution license of the Tech-Talk e-newsletter that is sent to libs-or mailing list each week. In order to continue our financial support for this and other continuing education offerings, we are required to evaluate the effectiveness of this resource.

Please take a few minutes (probably less than two!) to answer a very short survey:

            https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TTEval2019

The survey will remain open through July 31st. If you have any questions or concerns about the survey or Tech-Talk in general, please don’t hesitate to contact me<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us?subject=Question%20About%20Tech-Talk>.

Having problems viewing this newsletter?  View in your web browser<https://www.tech-talk.com/oh-no-what-did-windows-update-do-to-my-work.html> instead – when prompted for the USERNAME and PASSWORD use: ORLIBTECH for BOTH.

Change your update settings
[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=41e4b99a-c335-4832-aa50-e74747691efb&a=1100778316270&c=980e0ed0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502&ch=981cb4d0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2019 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: WINDOWS
1. VIDEO ... Oh No! What Did Windows Update Do to My Work?
2. ARTICLE ... Oh No! What Did Windows Update Do to My Work?
3. COMMUNICATING ... Can you really write a private communication?

[Windows update]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001gd_cLuoDMzDZu3CSLTIturxLjHO84UqSxN4WXbkn9kzCyjBqGgWJdmNoxq9VG7e_LZ9pUr00giBVAF8EqnlIoJwQzR7r62ttoOB0h--134xYGnJuxv4QMkolt5_seHwhI_aWHruvw1vb9QbyCnHe5l_5-16wXPGYcph1sXF09ZPXHydO0y1MdBIPuM2KDkrTmkl8VdS2Dhk81DNGyGoP6w==&c=c_gAMy83frQ9s89Xf6Gytmt-NEDaTprE95OQ110-u3Wv3L-4yvPPtA==&ch=n2irSOy-xxPA8SS4eBXPApFrYx4nPHpwApj8ueLvdZseX148YpX9qA==>

Photo by Matthew Henry<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001gd_cLuoDMzDZu3CSLTIturxLjHO84UqSxN4WXbkn9kzCyjBqGgWJdmNoxq9VG7e_aeyQ-9q6V5s1ZwRjFdyLwrTlcuofkjv4kkwBZt7LhPJ24Qck93W55i1w2eUkp-DEavrnhYjAij1SPWghzKXhXy7SSq203NHOeOBG4tldsRmHh5nCjmxjUPhdrvOJYPzU1Kp_8C-xYPB9-FkG0f-SZOSaCISjm4pGNhOZyTUwsa1Kh9aeDqdWanMu-EVP_w12joxXJ36pjB0=&c=c_gAMy83frQ9s89Xf6Gytmt-NEDaTprE95OQ110-u3Wv3L-4yvPPtA==&ch=n2irSOy-xxPA8SS4eBXPApFrYx4nPHpwApj8ueLvdZseX148YpX9qA==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001gd_cLuoDMzDZu3CSLTIturxLjHO84UqSxN4WXbkn9kzCyjBqGgWJdmNoxq9VG7e_ntoFmvYXVBN4cpWHKvazsFGf98HC7DdB9LdObIRme1bK39Vz_eEs19DmmPxdb1LPNcK82BlVI8TIZLxBBaDHRsoS8SnUeCAad4rbQP3Qgdgeen931OOwZePvtzEuzFKfVe2RG4Ki9Ohd1NC33ej46gKMx_W8MBF_1GwJOYgx28nL1cHqfjO7PycXGizLkeoH2ldgdQfksHRBPrPAL9H2Og==&c=c_gAMy83frQ9s89Xf6Gytmt-NEDaTprE95OQ110-u3Wv3L-4yvPPtA==&ch=n2irSOy-xxPA8SS4eBXPApFrYx4nPHpwApj8ueLvdZseX148YpX9qA==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001gd_cLuoDMzDZu3CSLTIturxLjHO84UqSxN4WXbkn9kzCyjBqGgWJdikUDc_a-LC5KooRt6Fs9CR0bUqEEnRsjjxcY0LFGdbn5dMnK-e4v_Jbz-Tv40ck7N27ezUx6QmkjDAFGw7rDGdvaIY2UVW6FwgWyNXjFQ0T&c=c_gAMy83frQ9s89Xf6Gytmt-NEDaTprE95OQ110-u3Wv3L-4yvPPtA==&ch=n2irSOy-xxPA8SS4eBXPApFrYx4nPHpwApj8ueLvdZseX148YpX9qA==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

WINDOWS - Oh No! What Did Windows Update Do to My Work?
Intermediate

[windows update]

Have you ever stepped away from your desk for a bit... maybe to eat lunch or go to a meeting ... and when you returned a Windows UPDATE has occurred?

While you were gone your computer is restarted automatically and you discover that several open, unsaved files were lost. So frustrating!

Well, although we may not like when there's an update, they are necessary for improved performance and security. But you can control when they happen so that you're not surprised.

Let's take a look at the settings options you have to manage in Windows 10 and earlier operating system versions.

Manage Updates in Windows 10

Windows 10 gives you a few choices when it comes to how updates are applied. To get to these options:

·     Click the Start  button, then select the Settings icon (looks like a gear).
·     Click on Update & Security  and select Windows Update from the left menu (it should be the default window that open.

NOTE: These options may vary depending on what version of Windows 10 you are running.

In the Windows Update settings, you can:

[Windows update]

Check for updates and choose to download and install right away.

Change your active hours. This is an effective way to control when an update occurs, so it's not during your busy work time. When you set your active hours (like from 8 am - 5 pm), updates will not run during these hours.

NOTE: Your computer has to be turned on to update during your "off" time.

[advanced options]

Advanced Options. These are important choices you can set to your preference. Toggle these choices on or off.

·     Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows. This is a good feature to enable. It ensures you download both important security patches as well as enhanced features.

·     Automatically download updates, even over metered data connections. This does not stop updates from happening, it only delays them so turn this off.

·     We'll show a reminder when we’re going to restart. Be sure to turn this setting ON. You'll see a pop-up reminder telling you that an update is going to happen and it will give you the choices to run it now or schedule for a later time.

[update notification]

·     Pause Updates. This offers a temporary delay in an update happening.

·     Choose when updates are installed. If you want updates applied as soon as they are available from Microsoft, select Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) -- which means the update is ready for most people.

·     Or, you can wait for a later release by picking Semi-Annual Channel which means the update is now ready for widespread use in organizations. Delaying gives Microsoft the chance to work out some "bugs" that may have been found in the initial update.

Find the Windows Updates Options in Windows 8 & 7

For Windows 8:

·     Go to Start and type “Control Panel” in the search box. Select it from the list.
·     Click System and Security (or just Security)
·     Go to Windows Update from the System and Security window.
·     Click on the Change settings link on the left.
·     Review the update settings.
·     To have control of when updates occur, select Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them -- so that you'll get notifications about new Windows 8 updates when they are available.

[windows updates]

If you have Windows 7:

·     Go to the Start menu and type in Windows Update in the search window.
·     Select Windows Update from the list.
·     Click the Change settings link in the left
·     Review the update Settings.
·     As with Windows 8, a safe option would be to select from the drop-down list, Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: Writing
Can you really write a private communication?

In today's world, everything has the potential for being front-page news.

That means every social media posting, conference call chat and email note are fair game for other folks seeing it. Don't mislead yourself thinking that you are having a "private" conversation.

Rule of Thumb: If the words you write (or say) were to show up on the front page of USA Today, would you feel OK about it? If not, then don't write it. Don't say it.

Once it's out there, it's out there for good and forever.

Think about this also when using everything from text messaging, selfie videos and Messenger to Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter. These are not private channels and these technology tools encourage sharing.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001gd_cLuoDMzDZu3CSLTIturxLjHO84UqSxN4WXbkn9kzCyjBqGgWJdj801BvRLrMdG379YUKZ1vyEyXPio4PvRYyV-BYLEzct53zRzofU7VgR5Xj7sbg5tWuaHT5lwYBxDNRvqTuSQDCRukhvQt2ggI1uJchXftJ6&c=c_gAMy83frQ9s89Xf6Gytmt-NEDaTprE95OQ110-u3Wv3L-4yvPPtA==&ch=n2irSOy-xxPA8SS4eBXPApFrYx4nPHpwApj8ueLvdZseX148YpX9qA==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001gd_cLuoDMzDZu3CSLTIturxLjHO84UqSxN4WXbkn9kzCyjBqGgWJdm1hhe2wUw8FRXQJerOvgFJ71isBFO3s9EuOW5PkK5DkNCqi1bVBZf5atO5FWh4MKlJxAYLNEO8fd60K4fygdP-lwSswMWLU6dxOuo8WPOIniPDtJgpmwqw=&c=c_gAMy83frQ9s89Xf6Gytmt-NEDaTprE95OQ110-u3Wv3L-4yvPPtA==&ch=n2irSOy-xxPA8SS4eBXPApFrYx4nPHpwApj8ueLvdZseX148YpX9qA==>

Copyright 1996-2019 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on the Libs-OR or TechTalk mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to receive the weekly Tech-Talk newsletter!

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]