[Libs-Or] Two new titles from the State Library (available via ILL)

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Mon Jun 3 12:42:39 PDT 2019

These new books are available for interlibrary loan from the State Library of Oregon. It is part of the Library and Information Science Collection<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/LIS-Collection.aspx>, which is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act. Please see the end of this email for additional information on borrowing these (and other) materials.

[https://rowman.com/L/15/381/9781538117002.jpg]     [https://rowman.com/L/15/381/9781538117019.jpg]

Landing a Library Job<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517150/one?qu=Landing+a+Library+Job> by Deloris Jackson Foxworth. Rowman & Littlefield, 2019. 978-1-5381-1699-9.

>From the publisher: Are you a librarian looking to change jobs or a recent or soon-to-be library and information studies graduate breaking into the field? If so, let this book be your guide through the career development process.

Landing a Library Job covers the different types of library and non-library jobs available to you and points you towards the resources you need to land those jobs. The book's focus on the resources to secure jobs is what makes it unique. You'll learn where to find library and library-related jobs, how to successfully apply and interview, how to follow up, and how to cultivate your career.

This book contains helpful information you can use to:

*         Decide if and where you fit into the significant and growing field of library and information science
*         Find and apply for library and information science positions
*         Prepare for the employment interview
*         Accept or negotiate job offers
*         Further develop your skills and knowledge in the library and information science field

Library Programming Made Easy: A Practical Guide for Librarians<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517212/ada?qu=Library+Programming+Made+Easy> by Michelle Demeter and Haley K. Holmes. Rowman & Littlefield 2019. 978-1-5381-1701-9.

>From the publisher: Libraries are always looking for new ways to engage with their patrons, and well-planned programming is one way to accomplish this goal. Library programming accomplishes this. Successful programming can be found in offering a variety of events, focusing activities on specific constituents, and providing meaningful library experiences. It can also be seen in advertising, social media, and the careful planning and execution of programs that ensure high quality engagement and participation. This book provides in-depth practical advice and examples of public and academic library programming activities. Included in this volume are methods for identifying target audiences, activities and ways to find and generate even more ideas, tools for assessment and budgeting, and tips on planning programs from inception to execution.

Chapters include:
*         Making a Case for Programming
*         Discovering the Best Programs for Your Library
*         Finding Programming Partners
*         Funding and Budgeting
*         Getting Organized and Executing Programs
*         Advertising Your Programs for Success
*         Public and Academic Library Programming
*         Assessment and Evaluation

Libraries use programming to build and maintain strong partnerships and collaborative opportunities that actively engage their users. In addition to these community-building measures programming can provide assessment tools that help inform future decision-making within the library environment while also assuring quality events and activities. Use this book to attract new patrons, highlight library services and resources, and showcase the overall quality and value of your library.

If you would like to request these or other materials<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/> from the State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). If you do not have access to ILL or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

We welcome purchase suggestions. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Contact me with your recommendations!

Cheers!
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]