[Libs-Or] Advocacy needed to support textbook affordability in Oregon

ACRL Oregon acrlor at olaweb.org
Wed May 15 15:32:33 PDT 2019

HB 2214 is a bill to fund affordable textbooks and open education in
Oregon’s colleges and universities. Will you please help let our
legislators know how important this issue is? You can use OLA's
<http://cqrcengage.com/alaor/home?6> advocacy software that allows users to
quickly send emails to elected officials
<http://cqrcengage.com/alaor/home?6> or you can customize the email
template below and send it from your own email.

   -

   If you are represented by a member of the Joint Ways & Means Committee,
   or the Education Subcommittee of the Joint Ways & Means Committee, write to
   your own legislators, AND…

   -

   Senator Frederick and Representative McLain, co-chairs of the Education
   Subcommittee of the Joint Ways & Means Committee, need to hear from
   EVERYONE who supports this use of public funds.

*Contact info:*

Senator Frederick: Sen.LewFrederick at oregonlegislature.gov or 503-986-1722

Representative McLain: rep.susanmclain at oregonlegislature.gov or 503-986-1429

Education Subcommittee of the Joint Ways & Means Committee members
<https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Committees/JWMED/Overview>

Joint Committee On Ways and Means members
<https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Committees/JWM/Overview>

Who Represents Me In Oregon?
<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html>

Dear Senator Frederick and Representative McLain,

The high cost of textbooks is a barrier to Oregon students completing their
college or university degree. HB 2214 continues to fund textbook
affordability and open education in Oregon through a program that has a
track record of helping students save millions of dollars on textbooks.

Whether we keep funding at current levels, grow the program, or dream big,
the funding should be part of CSL so that we know that this important work
can continue past 2021. I support growing the program as outlined in the
budget model: https://tinyurl.com/hb2214.

Thank you,

[Your name]