[Libs-Or] New Titles on Technology from the State Library of Oregon

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu May 16 14:09:04 PDT 2019

Greetings!

These new books are available for interlibrary loan from the State Library of Oregon. It is part of the Library and Information Science Collection<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/LIS-Collection.aspx>, which is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act.

[https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41KLiiSL3JL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]            [https://rowman.com/L/15/381/9781538109311.jpg]

Tech for All: Moving Beyond the Digital Divide<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517123/ada?qu=tech+for+all> edited by Lauren Comito. Rowman & Littlefield, 2019. 978-1-5381-2218-1.

>From the publisher: How can libraries ensure that patrons from all socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds have access to advanced technology training and hardware? Everyone knows libraries provide access to computers and the internet for day to day use, but many libraries have gone beyond those basic services. Makerspaces and advanced tech training are often not equitably distributed between differing communities. The digital divide is still very real, and by not providing equal access to maker spaces and other similar services libraries may be unintentionally contributing to that divide.

This book examines how the unequal distribution of resources between communities can limit access to emerging technologies. Chapters from librarians across the country give real world examples of libraries going the extra mile to bring more than just email access to their communities, regardless of economic status or geographic distribution.

You'll find practical plans put forward by working professionals who have sought pragmatic solutions to issues of digital literacy. Access is a through line in this work as people look at the larger ideas of access as inclusive of training, diverse technologies, and the time and space to make genuine growth in tech literacy.

Library Technology Planning for Today and Tomorrow<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517125/ada?qu=technology+planning+for+today> by Diana Silveira, Rowman & Littlefield, 2019.

>From the publisher: Technology is a crucial part of libraries today. But when it comes to figuring out the most effective technologies for their library or to planning for future technology needs, many librarians don't know where to begin.

Library Technology Planning for Today and Tomorrow is the place to start. This practical guide will be of special value to those in small- and medium-size libraries, especially those new to the planning process who have not previously implemented technology or who have had difficulty implementing strategic plans. By using this LITA guide overwhelmed librarians can create a sound, realistic technology plan and implementing that plan by identifying each step necessary to accomplish the library's goals. As they follow this road map from beginning to end, library staff will be able to meet the technology needs of their communities and to achieve their library's technology goals.

This step-by-step guide takes the reader through the process of successfully creating and implementing a library technology plan. Each chapter addresses an aspect of planning and implementation-from conducting a technology audit and selecting appropriate devices to deploying new technologies and training staff and users. Further, this LITA guide will help librarians evaluate the success of their work in developing and implementing their technology plans.

If you would like to request these or other materials<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/> from the State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). If you do not have access to ILL or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

We welcome purchase suggestions. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Contact me with your recommendations!

Cheers!
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]