[Libs-Or] The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion issue of the OLA Quarterly is now available! Guest Editor: Elaine Hirsch

Gesse Stark-Smith gesses at multco.us
Fri Nov 1 12:08:59 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Thank you, Max, for bringing this to our listserv's attention and
courageously pointing out the bias in Ms. McNeil's article.

I'm also confused about the inclusion of this piece in the EDI issue. In
the introduction to the issue, the guest editor Elaine Hirsch writes: "This
issue shares the important work that a wide variety of libraries are doing
to help create equitable and inclusive communities in Oregon." Ms. McNeil's
article does not share important work that is happening to make libraries
more inclusive, rather it shares the perspective of an individual who is
struggling with these concepts and critiquing those who are doing this
important work. (As Max has pointed out, BIOPOC are so often told what they
can/cannot say in these and so many other spaces.) This is a pervasive
perspective in our society and not one that needs an additional
platform--especially in an issue with the above stated purpose.

I'm wondering if the editors of the OLA quarterly plan to address this.
Perhaps, by publishing a letter to the editor or a future article on this
topic? Please keep me posted.

Sincerely,
Gesse Stark-Smith

--