[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney | Find Ways to Say Yes: How we Made our Library More Inclusive Through Removing Barriers to Membership

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Wed Nov 6 18:35:23 PST 2019

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney is the director of Driftwood Public Library in
Lincoln City, Oregon. Please download and read her latest article, "Find
Ways to Say Yes: How we Made our Library More Inclusive Through Removing
Barriers to Membership," here:
https://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol25/iss2/4/

>From Kirsten's article, "One patron who was residing in a local shelter
laid out the issue for staff in a way that was hard to ignore: she had
three children, and with the limits imposed by the card, there was no way
she could check out enough materials to satisfy them all. Additionally, her
oldest child was reading books from a series, and the next one in the
series was held by another consortium library—which meant that she could
not access it. Since reading was one of the few ways her children could
entertain themselves for free, the lack of access was a major problem.
Stated bluntly, she felt the library was treating her and her family as
second-class citizens, even though they lived in the library’s service
area."

Please read on to find out how Kirsten and her team worked hard to make
sure situations like this and others are a thing of the past at their
beautiful library on the Oregon Coast.

Thank you,
Charles Wood
OLA Communications Chair