[Libs-Or] Editorial response to OLAQ 25(2)

Stephanie Debner stephanie.debner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 14:59:02 PST 2019

conversation. I did not receive any kind of warning about the content of my
post.

I was inspired to re-read the listserv guidelines, and there is this
statement, which I think is very important here: "Remember that disagreeing
with an idea is different from
attacking an individual." When I re-read Max's original post, he was taking
issue with the article.

I find it interesting that the charge of "unprofessional" was leveraged at
someone who shared a critique of a piece of writing and challenged his
colleagues to re-examine it. It seems like that charge was pulled out as a
way of tone policing Max and shutting him down. Being "professional" often
falls under broader aspects of language of civility. For an understanding
of the language of civility and tone policing, see this blog post by
sociologist Dr Zuleyka Zevallo:
https://othersociologist.com/2017/06/17/tone-policing-people-of-colour/

I am glad that Max raised this critique and opened the dialogue that others
have shared in.

Stephanie Debner