[Libs-Or] Editorial Response to OLAQ 25(2)

Meredith Farkas meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
Wed Nov 13 15:10:48 PST 2019

Thanks for your post, Diedre. I did not receive any warning for my comments
and I agree with your suggestion that whoever reported Max was made
uncomfortable by his criticism. It effectively supported his point that
"BIPOC are constantly told how they should speak, behave, think and believe
by white people."

I have also had experiences where the words of a person of color made me
uncomfortable and that often happened because it forced me to think about
my own complicity in upholding white supremacy. If we don't face that
discomfort, if we avoid discomfort or try to silence those who cause us
discomfort, we can't find ways to decrease harm.

Thanks everyone who has participated in this important discussion.

Meredith