[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Debacle: Defending Macias, McNeil and Anderson

Tony Greiner tony_greiner at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:36:06 PST 2019

The point is freedom to read, which means freedom of expression.  I was disappointed in the shaming of Heather McNeil, and wish that those who disliked her piece could have expressed an opposition to her ideas, rather than her right to express them.

But all of these writers have the right to contribute their ideas to this discussion. Silencing diverse opinions helps no one. It smacks of book-burning, fascism, and Orwell.

As librarians, we should rally behind the freedom of expression and the freedom to read. To fail to do so is to abandon any claim of integrity for our profession.

**tony_greiner at hotmail.com**