[Libs-Or] Reference collection question

Buzzy Nielsen Bnielsen at crooklib.org
Thu Nov 14 11:42:58 PST 2019

Hi Terra,

We actually just had this discussion at our library ahead of adopting RFID. We cut back our general reference collection severely, mostly by interfiling the few things that we thought were still worth keeping. The general reference collection is now very small, composed mostly of locally-relevant public review documents (e.g. forest plans, environmental impact statements) and some atlases/maps.

We have a couple of larger specialized reference collections, one for local history and the other for legal materials (we house our county's law library). Those collections are shelved separately from the general reference collection. Both are used much more extensively than the general reference collection was even before we cut it back.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

Director of Library Services