[Libs-Or] New blog post about EDI / OLA-Q article

Adrienne Doman Calkins CalkinsA at SherwoodOregon.gov
Mon Nov 18 11:07:10 PST 2019

Indeed—thank you to Mr. Macias for the work, thought, bravery and tremendous energy you have put into writing about the inequities and experiences brought to light by this controversy.

I appreciate your recommendations on how to move forward as an organization and profession. Spot on.

I would love to attend the pre-conference workshop Mr. Macias suggests on White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. I would advocate locally to reallocate funds to send more staff and I expect other library managers and directors would, as well. Subsequent statewide conversations as a result of this pre-conference could be meaningful and impactful, with a long tail as conversations move to local library systems, staff groups, and to working with our patrons.

I also welcome more help from the State Library on providing recommendations for culturally appropriate selections, as Mr. Macias suggests. They did this recently as part of the procedures for a grant available to small and medium-sized public libraries to diversify youth collections and the suggested lists made the work much easier to accomplish.

I recognize and own that as a white person, I’m predisposed to wanting to have a checklist for how to solve problems, while talking about race and healing inequities is not solvable with a checklist. Caprice Hollins and Ilsa Govan call this “valuing the product over the process.” They are also trainers to consider inviting to present a pre-conference session.

Hollins, C. D., & Govan, I. M. (2015). Diversity, equity, and inclusion: Strategies for facilitating conversations on race.

With gratitude to Mr. Macias and hope for our profession going forward,

Adrienne Doman Calkins
Library Manager, Sherwood Public Library
22560 SW Pine Street, Sherwood, OR 97140
503-625-4272  |  calkinsa at sherwoodoregon.gov
www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library<http://www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library>  |  Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/sherwoodpubliclibrary> |  Monthly e-newsletter<https://www.libraryaware.com/1690/Subscribers/Subscribe?showonlynewsletterlists=true>
A member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services