[Libs-Or] 2019 Mock Pura Belpré Award hosted by REFORMA Oregon

Star Khan skhan at lincolncity.org
Tue Nov 26 10:25:42 PST 2019

Buenos dias,

It is time for the REFORMA Oregon Chapter and Round Table's 5th Annual Mock Pura Belpré Awards.  Mark your calendars for Saturday, December 7th from 10-4 at the Kent Taylor Civic Hall in McMinnville!  Please join us for this full-day, free event with guest author Cathy Camper starting off the festivities.

The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented annually to a Latino/Latina writer or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. It was named after Pura Belpré, the first Latina librarian to be hired by the New York Public Library in 1921.  She was known as a revolutionary- using an innovative blend of folklore and outreach to engage the predominantly Spanish-speaking Puerto Rican children in her area. Through her story times, her puppeteering, and her written works, Belpré set a high standard for how libraries should tailor their programs and services for the communities and peoples in which they're located. Her commitment and advocacy to bridge her Puerto Rican community to the library, and vice versa, showcases the roots of critical children's librarianship and inclusion, and not assimilation, of marginalized voices into the field.

We continue to honor Pura Belpré's legacy by incorporating her principles and values into our own work and by advocating for more inclusive collections at libraries around the state.  Every year since 2015, the REFORMA Oregon Round Table of OLA hosts the Mock Pura Belpré Award. This is a great opportunity for library staff, who work with Latino and/or Spanish-speaking children, to take part in discussions surrounding that year's selection of titles and the Pura Belpré Awards criteria.  Why do we do this?  It's simple: to raise awareness to the importance of more quality children's literature written and/or illustrated by Latino authors.  So that when the children of our communities walk into our libraries, they find themselves represented in the stories they read.

Please join us this year in McMinnville for this year's Mock.  The event is free, just follow this link to get registered:   https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mock-pura-belpre-award-tickets-81557262969

And if you have any copies of the title mentioned below, please bring them with you if you can.

We hope to see you there!

[dwsquare2]

Star Khan
Outreach Services Coordinator- Coordinadora de Servicios de Alcance
President, REFORMA Oregon
Pronouns: She/Her/Ella
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101 Ste 201  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996-1255
E: skhan at lincolncity.org<mailto:skhan at lincolncity.org>  | W: driftwoodlib.org

Un idioma distinto es una visión diferente de la vida.
A different language is a different version of life  ~ Federico Fellini

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D59960.206A5F90]<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mock-pura-belpre-award-tickets-81557262969>
[cid:image002.png at 01D59960.206A5F90]<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mock-pura-belpre-award-tickets-81557262969>