[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: MOBILE - A Traveling Partner, iExit

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Oct 1 12:13:26 PDT 2019

Greetings and welcome to this week’s issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email? You can view the both the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/iexit-your-favorite-traveling-partner.html> and the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/when-to-use-fewer-vs-less.html> online instead! When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for BOTH.
iExit is an Interstate Exit Guide
[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=d39a90e1-9329-4da0-8251-88e6f38e560f&a=1100778316270&c=980e0ed0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502&ch=981cb4d0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2019 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: MOBILE
1. VIDEO ... A Traveling Partner, iExit
2. ARTICLE ... A Traveling Partner, iExit
3. COMMUNICATING ... Fewer vs. Less

[video]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOQM8QgOnr07qiQ34TMJhS0BVqCQ0X-T203OcflcHrGzKPJCejmSqci8C140xHpxFykuDDpXTWrheF_Z7mVWejNwTFkPBWj74g_96m9rIPKCheXvz0iEnZWdbMIi6PURdiM21CUtPKnV-QP1kwW6iiNk=&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

Photo by Dino Reichmuth<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOQM8QgOnr07qRbB4QZwLE_S-etobMo5ElzdwTsYLTUI-2jx2UwVEWo43pN27cWniKpjs0WksIbp7Ok4abeQg1KnQKBMfwRRCeDXv0XL37euAfCFQp39rsp6wvbRkY2ZdTQhDblfM3g_bdxyL68ugOKbMrxej9_17pCuQp2ixgnLKPFHqLjCKIWtPeUkikpMkiJ1DW2ZkCZ6WZGklzwaO9ic=&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOQM8QgOnr07qGoYcxuabzt1Z1BqeItXravgsYXk2gTLHNM4CtDYUA3ysXTSzoADAaSpjppECrVPQDM3xpzjfsTygkL2uGSe5ysIQRx5Oxzk-VFRfY1C20TqKuInPYTqMuFiSfQ075fwb5emSXd2ZDBmCzZOugbIMhLJLf1qMDzpW2fCcKvjDTLfAwIl9AqDjHgcPUJ1bK4FbZNjLyhixGjbt6bvBVgaMHQ==&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoORQFmdQ0fmfEyU6jPpnJ_lb2sQMHh3cmshYLM0dyA5pyqLnKLozBqoO8aHiUMv8Dd8lGhctis6-p5IkoguV7QzTEBQYH9EWVjgG69nb1OLaa&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

YOU'RE INVITED...
To the next free Tech-Talk Webinar!

"Become a Tech-Hero: Excel, PPT, Social Media
Upgrade Your Skills and Discover the New Database"
Intermediate / Advanced ... 3-Part Series (1 hour)

·     Creating an Infographic with an Online Web Tool
·     Working with Graphic Images in PowerPoint / G-Slides
·     Creating Professional Looking Docs in Excel / G-Sheets
·     Using Advanced YouTube for Research
·     Understanding Social Media Options
·     Creating Pivot Tables Made Easy

Be sure to register for Your State's Session
(If you signed up for the one in September, you're already registered.)

OREGON: October 14 (Mon) - 12 pm, Pacific Register To Attend Oregon's<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOUJPL8KvlnZHsdrpXDhXISFxYKMGJ5ODGE6_zd0bxAN_5b9RHGXL11VDTFyLUCt3BWFBMHHGC6n3KHnnE5esV0OpkgT_Uj8AYssXGkxVFpqdHqeSLWdWKdt6ruGpzz2dYtwFDMyLklaSv7C4ExO3bjk=&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

FLORIDA: October 15 (Tues) - 3 pm, Eastern Register To Attend Florida's<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOeSa2_a_h5j7RxXe8FnGEzCzAfra2IRbUshA-5geyU_DTU6BP1-Rsb-IOpz5K_LEaJALsb2oWxO9VDS5GsWUQmAwOwwQFqpNcVxUCOpazdtqhoJk5mufCfdQNJo9d5thLMUje4ueyz-IFzpWnmxWLT8=&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

NEW YORK: October 16 (Wed) - 2 pm, Eastern Register To Attend New York's<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOUJPL8KvlnZHxDzpDyF-lA7ar6YyGkJ8_DDV5ZdRM5XiPS1EYr99VMGqqCu0mMHVK27NugOUqC0FSNzZBkBM3a6Xumm1_7BS0XioFFCCbj41c2g2co5wDmBp8HMbEmDTXChzknzuLYQd-YPZpnb4_W8=&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

MOBILE - A Traveling Partner For You ... iExit
Intermediate

[roadtrip]

I was on a road trip recently from Wisconsin to North Carolina. We were traveling on unfamiliar highways so we didn't know where to stop for meals, to re-fuel or even where we would find a hotel along the route.

I pulled up the "search along route" function in Google Maps, the app we were using for directions, but it only gave me a few restaurant choices at the next exit -- not very helpful.

[iExit]

Then I remembered that I had downloaded the free app called iExit on my last long road trip.

This app will identify restaurants, gas stations, hotels, and more -- that are upcoming by the exit name/number. When you choose one of the options using a smartphone (or tablet), you'll get directions and contact info for that location.

You can look way ahead -- up to 100 exits, for better trip planning. Just passed a Dunkin Donuts and want to go back? Don't worry -- you can search by name to find the next one on your route!

No more wondering how many miles to the next gas station or rest stop – or if you'll find a Panera along your route.

This highway pit stop finder will give you an overview of upcoming options along your route. Or, you can narrow the search by types:

[iExit]

·     Fuel Stops -- displaying by type: Unleaded, Diesel, Electric, etc... AND showing you the current pricing!

·     Restaurants -- by types: fast food, grocery stores, or kinds (American, Chinese, Mexican).

·     Lodging -- Hotel/motel listings including Yelp reviews and amenities. You can narrow the search by other options like "pet-friendly."

·     Outdoors options - such as RV-Friendly, Campgrounds, Outdoor Supplies.

·     Other Choices -- including Rest Stops, Hospitals, Pharmacies, Vet Offices, WiFi availability, Attractions, Automotive and Shopping (including choices such as CVS, Target, Kohls, etc…)

You can search by any of the categories, or by a particular brand (McDonald's, Shell, Hyatt, etc.), to find what you need coming up on your route.

Put iExit to Use

[iExit]

Start by downloading the free app in the iPhone App Store or on Android devices on Google play. You don't have to create an account and sign-in, however, if you choose to use this option you can save your favorite chains/businesses and exits. Your favorites will be stored in the cloud and can be viewed anywhere you log into iExit.

CAUTION: If you are the driver, please let your passenger do the navigating, or find a safe place to pull over before using this app.

When you open the app, you’ll be prompted on the home screen to:

·     Find me on the highway
·     View nearby highways
·     Search by highway
·     Search around me

[iExit]

Next, the screen gives you choices of what's coming up at the next exit number, how far away you are from the exit, and icons will indicate what is available (gas, food, etc...).

When you pass an exit, those choices will disappear and others will be added.

Just tap on an exit number/name to see a whole list of what is available. (Or, tap the Search icon in the upper right to type in a particular selection.)

[iExit]

When you tap on an Exit number, the choices will be organized by the distance from the exit and by type (fuel, food, etc..).

Tap on the business location to get more information, or the phone icon to call.

You Don't Have To Wait - Planning Your Trip

You don't have to wait until you're on the road to start planning. Use iExit to map out possible stops ahead of time.

From the home screen choose the "Search by highway" option, pick a state and select an Interstate number. The app will list, by an exit, options on your route so that you can plan where to stop, eat and stay... ahead of time.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Grammar
When to use "fewer" vs. "less"

My family used to play a game with grammar. The point was to catch someone saying something incorrectly. It wasn't a board or card game, it was an ongoing watchfulness ... every day, every minute.

The purpose was to continually learn ... to monitor our speech patterns so that we became more aware of how we were talking. So that meant you might hear an immediate correction in the middle of a conversation.

Mom: "Let's get in the grocery line for ten items or less."
Kid: "You mean ten items or fewer."

Nobody took offense. And us kids (oops, we kids) would delight when we caught our mom (a high-achieving English major).

Conversation Often Followed

OK, language is not cut and dried. It's ever-changing even though it has "rules," "exceptions" and "common use." Therefore when a perceived grammar mistake was noted, it often spurred discussion.

Our grammar highlight in this tip could yield a lot of talk. (Perhaps you want to chime in with your ideas in the Comment section<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOQM8QgOnr07qBuTKuQ-YTBW4jaRKUXkOqEH-EFVnZ_sm94R2zupVsClIXrTx_B87nyEVb109zfECz1X-QgrxWpJlM-C8i_gq5ANjF0epMDpM5lksSv98lkdE-QSWAVN23JiFpba8tXYM&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>.) By the way, this topic itself was suggested by a Tech-Talk reader. We welcome and use your comments.

Fewer vs. Less

Here's the convention. If you can count it, choose Fewer.

·     Fewer: refers to plural nouns
·     Less: refers to singular nouns

Fewer... ingredients, puppies, dollars
Less... money, food, time

That's simple, right? Then it gets murky. There are notable exceptions ... and some in the grey area. (Great, fodder for conversation!)

Here are a few countable examples where the exception seems to prevail:

Text: "250 words or less"
Items: "3 items or less"
Money: "less than $20"
Distance: "less than 3 miles"

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoOQ3niHOWrgmq8LLESQcLSm-UMwLMJDk9xsNl-JOwCIxMEvkloLCMmqbVJ0AJXuS3fHOTlBUzhSZbQfLAqlJU_Zc2Jjovfx4r8WUwnnx-EyxJ&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001mmpa2fbVkR2u4kwtoJVYv-SjVIUIxPJ1-zusV1ccAWND97ChF-VoObP9Lqcjgefr4Jwf4mOMU5TGdpHAPpeARu0DGBN4JlAqI29-v93VlvSNozGDtuLQN9FfnIsidQi31ahSRS7mR60N5OSOpsEm1hp-TtNh0ss2WmR8GwbGYNo=&c=oWPW3TkYzY6atGanihAkVz6fs8LDnumXlIm_bSMO3vY1XL_uA17ePg==&ch=uID0OtdsF-K6kbPKu67sjlAt3TYRfYr3bJDv_iQvQIFLuRiOP-4SZg==>

Copyright 1996-2019 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>.

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on Libs-OR? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]