[Libs-Or] The Oregon Library Association Quarterly is seeking submissions for the Winter 2019 issue! | Connecting to Community through Collections | Guest Editor Karen Clay

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 17:07:50 PDT 2019

The Oregon Library Association Quarterly is seeking submissions for the
Winter 2019 issue.  The OLAQ is a professional journal that showcases the
writing and work of library employees in Oregon, and is indexed in LIS
databases.

The theme for the Winter issue is Connecting to Community through
Collections, and will be guest edited by Karen Clay, Library Director at
Eastern Oregon University.  The ability to showcase the impact of our
unique special collections on our local communities is becoming
increasingly important, and this issue will give contributors a chance to
highlight a unique collection and describe how the collection has served to
create or enhance community.

Potential authors are invited to email Karen with their questions and ideas
at kclay at eou.edu  Proposals (~150 words) are due December 1, 2019 and
articles on January 15, 2020 with a tentative OLAQ publication date of
February 15, 2020.  Article length averages 1,000 to 2,500 words, and
images and creative work are welcome.

Any library, large or small, can have an impact on their community because
of unique materials that they have collected and surfaced.  These impacts
could be such things as bringing together community members with a common
interest, generating enthusiasm among students in a related discipline, or
even serving businesses looking for ways to create a buzz.  Submissions
could cover a range of topics, such as stories of how particular
collections have grown over time, how they have been used, or ideas for how
the impact of special collections could be measured and assessed.

I believe that building and surfacing our special collections is a great
way to grow community, and to realize the central role of libraries in our
communities.  This issue will celebrate the role that Oregon libraries play
in that endeavour!

l look forward to your questions and ideas!

Thank you,
Karen Clay