[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Seeking Submissions for Fall 2019 Issue | Youth Services Take Over OLA Quarterly | Guest Editor April Spisak, Albany Public Library

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 19:42:34 PDT 2019

The Oregon Library Association Quarterly is seeking submissions for the
Fall 2019 issue. The OLAQ is a professional journal that showcases the
writing and work of library employees in Oregon, and it is indexed in LIS
databases.

The theme for the upcoming issue is Youth Services Take Over OLA Quarterly!
Of course, youth services are well-represented in most issues, but this
time we’re taking over the whole publication. The guest editor will be
April Spisak, Head of Youth Services at the Albany Public Library. I’ve
been passionate about libraries as a patron, as an instructor, and as a
librarian. I’ve been working in youth services for almost 20 years, and as
an instructor I told my students repeatedly that they had to advocate for
themselves and for their work, and that I considered sharing our
experiences and knowledge to be a core aspect of librarianship, a key
element in “beyond four walls” librarianship.

It is in that spirit that I invite all potential authors to email me with
your ideas for articles at: april.spisak at cityofalbany.net

I’d like to see articles that explore innovative programming or outreach,
new ideas about youth services librarianship, explorations of third space
in your children’s or YA areas, and introspective thought pieces that
explore what you thought youth services was if that is a contrast with your
job experience, or what you’d like to be able to do within your role. If we
could get together in a big room and chat, we’d want to talk about
successes, ideas, and goal-setting. I’m envisioning this issue as a version
of that – what do we want to say to each other, and what do we want to make
sure non-youth services librarians know about the work we do?

Proposals will be due by September 24th, and then you’ll have about a month
to get me your first draft (October 25th). I’m looking for articles around
1,000-1,500 words, and images and creative work are, of course, always
welcome. I’ve been an OLA Quarterly fan since I moved to OR, and I am
thrilled to work with authors in this capacity.

Thank you!

April Spisak

Head of Youth Services

Albany Public Library