[Libs-Or] Summary to Q: Is there a reader guide on How to Evaluate Covid-19 Resources?

Laura Orr laurathelawlib at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 09:48:52 PDT 2020

Greetings:

I list below the evaluation resources sent to me. I include a brief title
and a URL. Sometimes I found a shorter URL than the one sent to me and in
some cases I added a TinyURL link. Feel free to use these in your own
guides, tip sheets, website, blogs, etc.

I added some additional bibliographic info in case the links break and you
need to find new ones.

There is a wide variety of guides that would serve different ages and types
of audiences.

Many, many thanks to all who sent suggestions!: Jen Maurer, Arlene Weible,
Donna Cohen, Michele Spatz, Greta Bergquist, Penny Hummel, Bonnie
Brzozowsk, Meredith Farkas

Please let me know if I missed your email or if you have additional
contributions. I put an edited version of this list on the Oregon Legal
Research blog:

https://blog.oregonlegalresearch.com/

*THE LIST so far: *How to Evaluate Covid-19 Resources: Evaluating the Good,
Bad, Puzzling, Undated, Outdated, Rumor, Official, Unofficial, and the
Profiteering Resource:

*National Network of Libraries of Medicine:*
https://nnlm.gov/initiatives/topics/health-websites

And, NLM/NNLM’s health website for consumers, MedlinePlus:
https://medlineplus.gov/evaluatinghealthinformation.html

*Caulfield SIFT Model:*
More than one person mentioned the influence of Mike Caulfield's SIFT model
when creating evaluation guides:
https://guides.pcc.edu/c.php?g=1006155&p=7293067
TinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/tskkdqm
See also: PCC Library’s “2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)”:
https://guides.pcc.edu/novelcoronavirus

“Professor Mike Caulfield from WSU Vancouver stresses that people should
use the journalist’s fact checking approach, or lateral reading, instead of
approaches often taught in schools and colleges, like TRAAP/CRAAP and
RADCAB. His latest iteration is the SIFT method. Here are a few links.”

https://hapgood.us/2019/05/12/sift-and-a-check-please-preview/
https://hapgood.us/2019/06/19/sift-the-four-moves/
https://www.projectinfolit.org/mike-caulfield-smart-talk.html

And, Caulfied’s open access ebook, which is licensed under Creative Commons:
“WEB LITERACY FOR STUDENT FACT CHECKERS,” by Michael A. Caulfield
https://webliteracy.pressbooks.com/front-matter/web-strategies-for-student-fact-checkers/

*Politifact Article and Guide:*
Article: 7 Ways to Avoid Misinformation During the Coronavirus Pandemic at
Politifact:
https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/mar/11/7-ways-avoid-misinformation-during-coronavirus-pan/
TinyUrl: https://tinyurl.com/rw6tshj

Tip sheet / guide (linked to in the above article):
PolitiFact: MisInformation Handbook: Epidemics:
https://static.politifact.com/politifact/photos/PolitiFacts_Epidemic_Misinformation_Handbook.jpg
TinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/sgh2vr5

*First Draft single page tip sheet and article:*
Tip Sheet: Don’t Get Tricked by Online Misinformation (First Draft):
https://firstdraftnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/SHEEP_FINAL-scaled.png
TinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/w6gq644

Article: The 6 Types of Coronavirus Misinformation to Watch Out For at
First Draft News:
https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/the-6-types-of-coronavirus-misinformation-to-watch-out-for/
See also their page: https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/

*Stanford History Education Group (SHEG):*
https://sheg-cor.cdn.prismic.io/sheg-cor/d58654d5-d7d7-4149-afb7-08950456adaa_COR-Classroom-Poster-blue.pdf
TinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/rltloco

*Podcast: On the Media*: from their March 27, 2020 program, Playing The
Hero:
TinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/qm4s2a2

*Programming Librarian (ALA):*
The Facts: Fighting Fake News in the Pandemic:
https://programminglibrarian.org/articles/facts-fighting-fake-news-pandemic

Infographic from IFLA (multiple languages):
https://www.ifla.org/publications/node/11174

*WHO (World Health Organization):*
Another source that is official is the mythbusters site from WHO:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
TinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/r4wnxbd

*END*, list updated by Laura Orr, 4/1/2020

My original Libs-Or question: