[Libs-Or] OLA Facebook pandemic resource list posts

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Thu Apr 9 11:51:28 PDT 2020

 The OLA Facebook page admins have been posting a nightly COVID-19 pandemic
resource list. We appreciate how well the lists have been received, and
this has provided the confidence to post one here. Last night's post had
categories that include news & health, mental health resources, masks &
mask making, spring into action, libraries, literary quotes, John Prine,
and self-care. Older posts can be read for mask making instructions from
household materials. Library workers can evaluate the resources for
themselves, take what they need, and leave the rest. We say this because we
are not experts, we are just trying to contribute and stay busy. (We are
generalists, and don't want to argue with anyone.) Below the signature is
last night's list, hopefully it renders legibly. We don't know how long
these lists will continue, but for now it's all we can do. A sign off one
evening from KGW news was 'Stay vigilant. Stay safe. Stay home.' Makes
sense.
See: https://www.facebook.com/OregonLibraries/

OLA Communications

4/8/20
Today is #WorldHealthDay! Today's coronavirus pandemic resource list's
catagories are news & health, mental health resources, masks & mask making,
spring into action, libraries, literary quotes, John Prine, and self-care.
Here's a nice thought, "There is always something left to love." Gabriel
Garcia Marquez. Evaluate these sources for yourselves, and take what you
need and leave the rest.

NEWS & HEALTH

Oregon Governor Announces Closure Of Public Schools For Rest Of School Year
(OPB) https://tinyurl.com/wjpd88l

Emergency childcare for Oregon's essential workers
https://tinyurl.com/v7purgm

OHSU coronavirus (COVID-19) response (OHSU)
https://tinyurl.com/qu8jo7c

COVID-19 Resources for Oregon (OSHU) https://tinyurl.com/quof3sw

OHSU launches in-house COVID-19 testing lab (OHSU)
https://tinyurl.com/vcca7h5

211 Community Resources. https://www.211info.org/

Rural Hospitals Face Tough Financial Times Under The Coronavirus Strain
(OPB) https://tinyurl.com/yx7c6na3

Coronavirus State-By-State Projections: When Will Each State Peak? (NPR)
https://tinyurl.com/tgdd6hw

Resource mentioned in article above.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Federal Support Ends For Coronavirus Testing Sites As Pandemic Peak Nears
(NPR) https://tinyurl.com/vwuuyjf

'About Two Weeks Behind New York': D.C. Is On Track To Become A Coronavirus
Hotspot (NPR) https://tinyurl.com/vs6uy8m

Help fight COVID-19 in 5 minutes a day! Research Study for you. (University
of California San Francisco) https://tinyurl.com/rcdmnvu

734 Henry Ford [Hospital] workers test positive for COVID-19; Beaumont has
1,500 ill employees (The Detroit News) https://tinyurl.com/wtr4t32

U.S. Is Nowhere Close to Reopening the Economy, Experts Say (NY Times)
https://tinyurl.com/ur6onsk

Google uses location data to show which places are complying with
stay-at-home orders — and which aren’t (The Verge)
https://tinyurl.com/uocovra

Cleaning Buses with Disinfecting Fog (TriMet) Video.
https://tinyurl.com/rjvcww5

MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES

NAMI Oregon. We're here. Reach Out. We will have a more complete list
posted soon. Until then, call us at 503-230-8009, or toll-free at
800-343-6264 to be connected to a support group or other resources in your
community. Or contact us via email at: namioregon at namior.org.
https://tinyurl.com/velbl3p

NAMI. COVID-19 Resource and Information Guide. https://tinyurl.com/vl7dt2n

Mental Health and COVID-19 (AFSP) https://tinyurl.com/shxdwu6

All the ways to get free therapy during the coronavirus pandemic (Fast
Company) https://tinyurl.com/tz7dwvs

MASKS AND MASK MAKING

"Parents, families and caregivers may be wondering about what age a child
should be to safely wear a mask. Cloth face coverings should not be placed
on children under age 2. It is very important that you never put a mask or
face covering on an infant (or an adult) who is not able to adjust or
remove the mask themselves. This could compromise their ability to breathe.
More information about using face coverings to slow the spread of
COVID-19." (CDC) https://tinyurl.com/uxphvl2

Surgeon General shows how to make face masks. https://youtu.be/9YLXEhSjVsw

For more information on this subject, see previous posts.

SPRING INTO ACTION

Donate to Oregon Health & Science University's COVID Emergency Response
Fund:
https://www.onwardohsu.org/donation

Blanchet House meals and housing program. https://blanchethouse.org/Donate/

Neediest Cases Fund (NY Times) https://tinyurl.com/rl86dc7

LIBRARIES

Coronavirus Pandemic (2019-2020) (ALA) "This page seeks to compile
information about the possible near- and long-term implications for the
current coronavirus pandemic." https://tinyurl.com/wm59g64

Need help talking to your child about COVID-19? Coronavirus: A Book for
Children is now available for a free digital download. (SLJ) For children
aged 5-10 and their parents. https://bit.ly/2RoCJJw

Room to Read Releases Hundreds of Free Online Children’s Books During
COVID-19 School Closures Alongside Celebrity Video Read-Alouds
https://tinyurl.com/t5c9xhm

Libraries, Archives, and Museums Donate PPE to Healthcare Frontlines
Combating COVID-19 (LJ) https://tinyurl.com/tj3rymp

OCLC Virtual Town Hall: Libraries and the COVID-19 Crisis. April 13th.
Webinar. https://tinyurl.com/s79nhcu

Oregon Digital Library Consortium Kid's Collection
https://tinyurl.com/uufrns5

Holly Sue curated K-5 links that do not involve logins, Facebook,
Instagram, lots of ads, or requests for personal information. Suggestions
welcome. Share as needed. Copy/paste tiny url. https://bit.ly/3d8FesI.

COVID-19 Time Capsule (Long Creations) Finally got the right link.
https://tinyurl.com/sr8ss7x

Accessibility Suffers During Pandemic (Inside Higher Ed)
https://tinyurl.com/rpy4zjw

Continuing To Remake the Book Scene in Times of COVID-19 (LJ)
https://tinyurl.com/qr4frcf

ALCTS, LITA, and LLAMA Members Vote to Create New ALA Division (American
Libraries) https://tinyurl.com/v5d724x

Someone used their Noodle. https://tinyurl.com/t3vkskr

LITERARY QUOTES

“And here I must observe again, that this necessity of going out of our
houses to buy provisions was in a great measure the ruin of the whole city;
for the people catched the distemper, on these occasions, one of another;”
― Daniel Defoe, History of the Plague in London

“that the infection was propagated insensibly, and by such persons as were
not visibly infected, who neither knew whom they infected or who they were
infected by.”
― Daniel Defoe, A Journal of the Plague Year

“here I cannot but take notice that the strange temper of the people of
London at that time contributed extremely to their own destruction.”
― Daniel Defoe, A Journal of the Plague Year

“But it seems that the government had a true account of it, and several
counsels were held about ways to prevent its coming over; but all was kept
very private.”
― Daniel Defoe, History of the Plague in London

“Another plague year would reconcile all these differences; a close
conversing with death, or with diseases that threaten death, would scum off
the gall from our tempers, remove the animosities among us, and bring us to
see with differing eyes than those which we looked on things with before.”
― Daniel Defoe, A Journal of the Plague Year, written by a citizen who
continued all the while in London

“It mattered not from whence it came;”
― Daniel Defoe, A Journal of the Plague Year

There is always something left to love.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

JOHN PRINE

John Prine's Songs Saw The Whole Of Us (NPR) https://tinyurl.com/utp8ogq

Darren Campbell sings for John. https://tinyurl.com/vsd5dv5

SELF-CARE

There are decades of episodes of Oregon Field Guide to watch for free
online. Gearhart Elk; Endurance Ride; Shed Antler Hunting
https://tinyurl.com/rmvuc4x

Pittock Mansion online exhibit. pittockmansion.org/mthoodperspectives/

Dancing Alone Together. https://tinyurl.com/uos8ge6

Free meditation resource: https://www.headspace.com/ny

Wonders of Yangshuo. Travel to a magical place. https://youtu.be/ic1G0Lex1YU

Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir at the National Concert Hall, Dublin.
Try it. https://youtu.be/h3_mpSlRO8E

Stevie Wonder - Superstition live on Sesame Street. Turn it up.
https://youtu.be/_ul7X5js1vE

Which self-care link was your favorite? Have a good night everyone.