[Libs-Or] FW: [Calix] IMLS Press Release: Testing COVID-19 on Materials to Develop Guidelines - looking for examples

Penelope Hummel penny at pennyhummel.com
Wed Apr 22 19:44:24 PDT 2020

From: Calix <calix-bounces at listserv.cla-net.org> on behalf of "Frost, Carol" <frost at plpinfo.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 4:47 PM
To: "calix at listserv.cla-net.org" <calix at listserv.cla-net.org>
Subject: [Calix] IMLS Press Release: Testing COVID-19 on Materials to Develop Guidelines - looking for examples

Hello Library Community,

In case you missed it, the IMLS issued a very important press release today.  IMLS, along with OCLC and Battelle are collaborating to test various library  and museum materials in a laboratory environment to see how long the COVID-19 virus stays on different materials. Battelle is a not for profit research laboratory.

Per the press  release:

“The challenge of working with collections is compounded by inconclusive information on how the virus survives on surfaces and how—or if—different types of materials can be handled to mitigate exposure. As library systems, museums, and similar institutions across the United States plan for their reopening, an enhanced understanding of how to apply best practices in the context of local officials’ guidance is absolutely essential in mitigating risk to employees in handling collections and engaging with the public,” said Kemper.

San Francisco Public Library, Los Angeles Public Library, and the Pacific Library Partnership were asked to join a phone call today with other stakeholders nationwide to provide input about establishing best practices on handling materials.  (If you have not yet listened to the webinar between the IMLS and the CDC, you may want to review it – it is referenced in the press release and you can find it here )

Some of the considerations that were discussed today include:

Quarantining library materials (for how long, and the feasibility of doing this)
Cleaning materials may degrade them
Ensuring staff have the right protective materials to minimize risk of infection
How to fill holds to reduce the number of staff touching materials
How to handle curbside pickup or other limited delivery of materials
How do we handle the sharing of materials between agencies, such as with Link+
The communication piece of ensuring the public that using library materials is safe

If your library has developed any specific plans regarding the handling of materials, will you please consider sharing this with everyone, or emailing me your plan so that it can be passed along to the IMLS working group spearheading this issue?

IMLS has several subcommittees working on various aspects of this.

We will pass along information as we receive it.

Take care,

Carol

Carol Frost

CEO, Pacific Library Partnership

Executive Director, Peninsula Library System

32 W. 25th Avenue, Suite 201

San Mateo, CA

(650) 349-5538

(650) 867-8355 (cell)