[Libs-Or] State Library Newsletter: Letter to Libraries Online August 2020

Jerry Curry jerry.w.curry at state.or.us
Mon Aug 3 14:38:54 PDT 2020

View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/cfe95b9cbd66/state-library-newsletter-letter-to-libraries-online-december-1592138?e=0d2401e925>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/78df1b60-ce57-44e2-bf2e-eeeca7580653.jpg]

Letters to Libraries Online: News from the State Library of Oregon
Volume 30, Issue 08 - August 2020

State Library News

State Library Operations

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/7c0d2e1a-63ef-4131-b2b9-f12139e1a4cb.jpg]

UPDATE: Along with most state agency buildings, the State Library building remains closed to the public. The building closure has been extended through the end of October.

Although the State Library building is closed, we continue to provide a full range of services. Please contact us<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=ebd18dea06&e=0d2401e925> with any service requests or questions.

Cornelia Marvin Pierce

Cornelia Marvin Pierce was the first Oregon State Librarian. She made many positive contributions to libraries in Oregon. However, she was also a strong supporter of eugenics and later married Governor Walter Pierce who was affiliated with the KKK. The State Library will be taking the following actions to address this aspect of the State Library's History:

  *   Update the information about her on the State Library's history web page<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=be5d47c1a8&e=0d2401e925> to include a more accurate and fuller picture of who she was, including the troubling aspects of her beliefs and affiliations along with her contributions.
  *   Create a contextual statement to post next to a plaque with her image that is hanging in the second floor hallway of the State Library.

If you are interested in learning more about Cornelia Marvin Pierce, State Library staff member Cam Amabile has written an article about her for the upcoming OLA Quarterly summer issue. This issue will feature articles written by State Library staff and will highlight programs, services, and history of the State Library. Watch for it later this summer!

Library Support and Development Services

Upcoming Monthly "Topic Talks" from Library
Support and Development

In response to COVID-19, Library Support began hosting a number of online meetings, one series being weekly "topic talks" on Wednesdays. After some internal discussion, we decided to shift our "topic talks" to a monthly schedule and to broaden the scope.

For August we're pleased to present in partnership with the Public Library Division, "Centering Race in Library Reopening: Opportunities for Systems Change" with Sonja Ervin, Equity and Inclusion Manager at Multnomah County Library. Please join us on Friday, August 7 at 10:00 via Zoom<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a6b4670130&e=0d2401e925> (no registration required).

In September (date/time to be determined) we will host a "Virtual Meet and Greet with Library Support." This will be an opportunity for all library staff from around the state to learn more about the services and programs that Library Support offers as well as a chance to meet our new Program Manager, Buzzy Nielsen. Stay tuned for further details!

The "Topic Talks" schedule is also available on our Continuing Education LibGuide<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=5f36b39166&e=0d2401e925>. Have a topic you'd like to suggest for a presentation and/or discussion? Please let us know<mailto:library.support at state.or.us?subject=Topic%20Talk%20Suggestions>!

The Oregon Reference Summit presents....

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/1ac3b502-c6fd-4803-862d-863d2752a8e9.jpg]

Oregon Reference Summit presents... is a series of virtual sessions with reference-focused content appropriate for all skill levels, library types, and experiences. It is sponsored by Answerland; the Oregon Library Association's Reference and Legal Reference Roundtables; and the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Join us for this month's session!

Tuesday, August 25
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Data & Statistics Resources for Reference - Amy Coughenour, State Library of Oregon

What percentage of Oregonians speak Spanish? What is the total number of Oregon-based wineries and where are they located? How many Oregonians in a given zip code or census tract live in rented housing?

Library users are increasingly asking these types of data-driven reference questions from many different points of view: student homework, social services, consumer research, small business owners or entrepreneurs, and more. This presentation will review and demonstrate recommended resources for assisting users with data and statistics reference questions. Afterward, attendees will be equipped with lists of recommended resources and methods to add more data and statistics resources to their lists.

To register, and get info on upcoming sessions, visit tinyurl.com/OrRS2020<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=68cf61497d&e=0d2401e925>

Government Information and Library Services

Outreach & Embedding Efforts During COVID-19

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/f8afc3be-09f0-4aa0-a7a2-91bc61ba67a9.jpg]

>From Oregon Department of Transportation<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=c552dd062c&e=0d2401e925> flickr photos<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=c1778cc65d&e=0d2401e925>.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/ae1545ba-248f-44fc-b4a4-fe84a3369ff8.jpg]

The image Zoom - Video conferencing, Web conferencing, webinar application logo<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2bf632bd35&e=0d2401e925> by Marco Verch<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=c83257abd6&e=0d2401e925> can be used under a Creative Commons license<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=aeec860e03&e=0d2401e925>

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Kate Brown issued a "stay at home" order on March 23, 2020.  Since that time, a high percentage of state employees have been working remotely from home.  State buildings, including the State Library, have been closed or had their access greatly restricted.  State Library services have continued throughout the pandemic although with some necessary changes.  A small number of staff have been working onsite providing loans to other libraries, curbside pickup to state employees and scanning documents from our collection to help both the general public and agency patrons.

Despite the change in work environment and the innumerable Zoom meetings, the work of the state has continued. In support of that work, the State Library has responded to both the challenges and opportunities brought about by the pandemic by increasing the number of opportunities to interact with state employees, albeit almost exclusively in a virtual sense.

First, we've doubled the number of formal training opportunities/classes we offer to state employees and have found that teleworking state employees are eager for the opportunity to learn more about the resources available through their State Library. In particular, our O'Reilly learning platform<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=b051eccf57&e=0d2401e925> has been invaluable in providing state employees access to professional development resources.

Reference librarians embedded with specific agencies have reached out to agency managers arranging for special training sessions as well as training tracks for their staff.  They have also offered "office hours" opportunities for state employees to engage in deeper discussions about projects and work they are undertaking.

In summary, the COVID-19 pandemic has increased the amount of networking and collaborative opportunities for our reference staff. The end result has been to put us in touch with an even larger number of state employees that need increased library support.
Yes, the change in our work environment has brought us both, challenges AND opportunities.  We have been meeting both head on..

Contacts

Library Support and Development Services:
Ferol Weyand, Darci Hanning, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum, Arlene Weible, Susan Westin, Greta Bergquist
Contact information<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=e8dbff7edb&e=0d2401e925>

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager:
Elke Bruton, 503-378-5455

Government Information and Library Services Manager:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

State Librarian:
Jennifer Patterson, 503-378-4367

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon.

Mission
The State Library of Oregon cultivates, preserves, and delivers library and information services to foster lifelong learning and community engagement.

Our mailing address is:
State Library of Oregon, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Copyright (c)2020, All rights reserved.

Jerry Curry
Reference Librarian/eClips Editor<https://statelibraryeclips.wordpress.com/>
jerry.w.curry at state.or.us<mailto:jerry.w.curry at state.or.us>