[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | Amy Wyckoff, Beaverton City Library | Summer Outreach Crew: An Experiment

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Tue Aug 4 12:50:35 PDT 2020

Amy Wyckoff enthusiastically serves as a Youth Services Senior Librarian at
Beaverton City Library in Beaverton, OR where she works with a team of
creative librarians to plan and facilitate unique programs for the amazing
children, teens, and families in the community. Please download and read
her latest article, “Summer Outreach Crew: An Experiment,” here:
http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol25_iss4_6

>From Amy’s article: “In an effort to bring engaging and interactive
programming to families around our city and to promote summer reading, the
Beaverton City Library formed a Summer Outreach Crew (SOX) of six staff
members that visited parks, apartment complexes, free lunch sites, camps,
and summer school sites from June to August 2019. Each member of SOX
visited an outreach location in the community for approximately one hour
once a week where they interacted with lots of children, teens, and
caregivers who in some cases were not regular library users. We brought
science experiments, games, trivia, robots, art activities, and much more
and left families excited about what the library has to offer! Regardless
of the size of your staff or the funding available, we believe there are
aspects of our outreach plan that would work for any library.”

Before landing in beautiful Oregon, Amy worked as the Teen Services Manager
at ImaginOn in Charlotte, NC. Amy especially loves offering STEM programs
and hosts an annual Science Geek Out Festival where families come to dig
deep into all sorts of science topics. She co-authored a book called *Career
Programming* *for Today’s Teens: Exploring Non-traditional and Vocational
Alternatives*, which was published by ALA in 2018; it is a terrific
resource for any library staff looking to increase workforce development
programming for young adults.

This article was written before the events that began this spring. The OLA
Quarterly Coordinator takes full responsibility for the lateness of this
issue.

Thank you,

Charles Wood

OLA Quarterly Coordinator