[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | Brystan Strong, Jackson County Library Services | Consistency, Not Cookie-Cutter: Maintaining Individuality Within a Library System

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Wed Aug 5 12:36:35 PDT 2020

Brystan Strong just celebrated her one-year anniversary as Youth Services
Coordinator for Jackson County Library Services and is coming up on her
fifth year anniversary with the system. Please download and read her latest
article, “Consistency, Not Cookie-Cutter: Maintaining Individuality Within
a Library System,” here:
http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol25_iss4_7

>From Brystan’s article: “Jackson County is 2,802 square miles and has 15
libraries to serve its 11 incorporated cities and 34 unincorporated
communities. That is a lot of kids and families wanting quality library
programming. However, what the kids and families want in our Applegate
branch could be very different from what the kids and families an hour
south at our Ashland branch would want. It’s also important, though, that
no matter which of the 15 branches is closest to you, you can walk in there
and find not only relevant materials, but also experience a variety of fun,
educational, and meaningful programming. This is why I look for
“consistency, not cookie-cutter” when coordinating library services at our
many branches.”

When Brystan isn’t immersed in storytime, tutus, and toddler aerobics, she
writes dark speculative fiction (because balance is key). She lives in
Southern Oregon with her partner, and their pets: a cat, a bird, and
several fish. She loves floral prints, dinosaurs, true crime podcasts, and
reading (she is a librarian after all).

This article was written before the events that began this spring. The OLA
Quarterly Coordinator takes full responsibility for the lateness of this
issue.

Thank you,

Charles Wood

OLA Quarterly Coordinator