[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | April Witteveen, Deschutes Public Library | My Life in Teen Services: Then and Now

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Thu Aug 6 12:19:52 PDT 2020

April Witteveen is a Community Librarian at the downtown Bend location of
Deschutes Public Library. Please download and read her new article, “My
Life in Teen Services: Then and Now,” here:
http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol25_iss4_8

>From April’s article: “Fourteen years into my career as a teen services
librarian, I thought it would be interesting to reflect on my early years
as a fresh-faced librarian and compare those experiences to where I am now,
mid-career. I can both laugh a bit at my early naiveté, and feel concerned
that I’ve grown too old to connect with my intended audience. Regardless,
my dedication to serving the teens in my community has only grown stronger
as I move further into my second decade of being ‘that librarian who came
to my school and talked about books!’”

A native Michigander, you’ll catch her Midwestern accent in passionate
conversation. April is an explorer, a maker, a mother, and a retired roller
derby skater. She is also a freelance writer for *Library Journal *and
*School* *Library Journal*, where she reports on trends and best practices
in the greater library field.

This article was written before the events that began this spring. The OLA
Quarterly Coordinator takes full responsibility for the lateness of this
issue.

Thank you,
Charles Wood
OLA Quarterly Coordinator