[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase | Sabrina Tusing & Barratt Miller, Oregon City Public Library | Baby, I Was Born This Way! How Local Teens Helped aLibrary Deliver an LGBTQ Collection

OLA Communications Committee olacommunications at olaweb.org
Fri Aug 7 12:06:54 PDT 2020

Sabrina Tusing is a Youth Services Library Assistant III and Barratt Miller
is the Youth Services Librarian at Oregon City Public Library. Please
download and read their new article, “Baby, I Was Born This Way! How Local
Teens Helped a Library Deliver an LGBTQ Collection,” here:
http://journals3.library.oregonstate.edu/olaq/article/view/vol25_iss4_9

>From their article: “While the organization We Need Diverse Books has
increased the number of high-quality LGBTQ books being published by
mainstream publishers, it hasn’t gotten easier for teens to find them on
library shelves. They often don’t know the books exist and aren’t
comfortable asking for assistance from library staff. In order to bridge
this gap, librarians working with teens need to be more proactive in
designing collections and spaces that improve access to LGBTQ resources.

In this article, we outline how Oregon City Public Library worked with a
local group of LGBTQ teens to develop a Teen LGBTQ collection. By sharing
our experiences and the resources we utilized, we hope to provide other
libraries with a process they can use to meet the unique needs of teens in
their communities. While a dedicated LGBTQ collection was the best choice
for us, something different might work better for you.”

Sabrina holds an MLIS from San Jose State University and has been working
with teens in library settings since 2014. In her free time she enjoys
delicious vegan dinners with friends, reading true crime, and collecting
midcentury modern furniture pieces. Follow OCPL’s Teen Instagram here:

@oregoncitylibrary_teens

Barratt has worked with kids and teens in public libraries in Illinois and
Oregon since 2010 and earned her Master of Science in Library & Information
Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2012.

This article was written before the events that began this spring. The OLA
Quarterly Coordinator takes full responsibility for the lateness of this
issue.

Thank you,

Charles Wood

OLA Quarterly Coordinator