[Libs-Or] face shields

Perry Stokes director at bakerlib.org
Mon Aug 17 19:29:55 PDT 2020

To supplement Matthew’s list, this Lancet source is pro-eye protection (defined as visors, faceshields, or goggles) :

Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection for prevention of COVID-19 <https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31183-1>

C Raina MacIntyre, Quanyi Wang.

The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10242, Pages 1950 – 1951, June 27 2020.

Published: June 01, 2020               DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31183-1

It’s a commentary and concise summary on a lengthy study from that same issue:

Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673620311429>

Derek K Chu, Elie A Akl, Stephanie Duda, et al.

The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10242, 2020, Pages 1973-1987, June 27 2020.

Published: June 01, 2020               DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31142-9 .

(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673620311429)

Abstract: Summary

Background

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) causes COVID-19 and is spread person-to-person through close contact. We aimed to investigate the effects of physical distance, face masks, and eye protection on virus transmission in health-care and non-health-care (eg, community) settings.

Methods

We did a systematic review and meta-analysis to investigate the optimum distance for avoiding person-to-person virus transmission and to assess the use of face masks and eye protection to prevent transmission of viruses. We obtained data for SARS-CoV-2 and the betacoronaviruses that cause severe acute respiratory syndrome, and Middle East respiratory syndrome from 21 standard WHO-specific and COVID-19-specific sources. We searched these data sources from database inception to May 3, 2020, with no restriction by language, for comparative studies and for contextual factors of acceptability, feasibility, resource use, and equity. We screened records, extracted data, and assessed risk of bias in duplicate. We did frequentist and Bayesian meta-analyses and random-effects meta-regressions. We rated the certainty of evidence according to Cochrane methods and the GRADE approach. This study is registered with PROSPERO, CRD42020177047.

Findings

Our search identified 172 observational studies across 16 countries and six continents, with no randomised controlled trials and 44 relevant comparative studies in health-care and non-health-care settings (n=25 697 patients). Transmission of viruses was lower with physical distancing of 1 m or more, compared with a distance of less than 1 m (n=10 736, pooled adjusted odds ratio [aOR] 0·18, 95% CI 0·09 to 0·38; risk difference [RD] −10·2%, 95% CI −11·5 to −7·5; moderate certainty); protection was increased as distance was lengthened (change in relative risk [RR] 2·02 per m; pinteraction=0·041; moderate certainty). Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks; pinteraction=0·090; posterior probability >95%, low certainty). Eye protection also was associated with less infection (n=3713; aOR 0·22, 95% CI 0·12 to 0·39, RD −10·6%, 95% CI −12·5 to −7·7; low certainty). Unadjusted studies and subgroup and sensitivity analyses showed similar findings.

Interpretation

The findings of this systematic review and meta-analysis support physical distancing of 1 m or more and provide quantitative estimates for models and contact tracing to inform policy. Optimum use of face masks, respirators, and eye protection in public and health-care settings should be informed by these findings and contextual factors. Robust randomised trials are needed to better inform the evidence for these interventions, but this systematic appraisal of currently best available evidence might inform interim guidance.

Funding

World Health Organization.

Perry Stokes | Library Director / Reference Librarian

Baker County Library District | 2400 Resort St | Baker City, OR 97814

o: 866-297-1239 <tel:866-297-1239>  | m: 541.403.0450 <tel:541.403.0450>  | f: 541-523-9088 <tel:541-523-9088>  | e:  <mailto:director at bakerlib.org> director at bakerlib.org