[Libs-Or] "American Dirt" and the Social Justice Warriors

Candise Branum cbranum at ocom.edu
Tue Feb 4 11:03:30 PST 2020

Thank you, Marci. The biggest crux of this issue really seemed to be around
the fact that this book was billed as a diverse and *authentic* voice, the
money that backed its publication and profits, and the inability for
publishers to offer even a splinter of these types of opportunities to
brown authors. As Diedre pointed out, the #DignidadLiteraria & Presente.org
could potentially be great thing that comes out of all of this.

This is an incredibly bad take on a nuanced controversy, and the use of the
phrase "Social Justice Warriors" to demean writers of color who have been
systematically shut out of the publishing industry (and were *not *threatening
the writer but voicing their dissatisfaction) is very telling.

*Candise Branum*
Director of Library Services
Oregon College of Oriental Medicine (OCOM)
503-253-3443 x134 <(503)%20253-3443>   |   75 NW Couch Street, Portland, OR
97209
<https://maps.google.com/?q=75+NW+Couch+Street,+Portland,+OR+97209&entry=gmail&source=g>
|   library.ocom.edu

*Pronouns: She, her, hers**Want to donate? Check out our book wishlist
<http://a.co/7TjGlRX>*