[Libs-Or] "American Dirt" and the Social Justice Warriors

Nicholas Schiller infoliberty at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 12:31:04 PST 2020

Hi Tony, I want to refute a few assertions from this email and perhaps a
inference or two that I'm making about your post.

First, I think we all could do with some factual context about the American
Dirt and Flatiron Press situation.

   - American Dirt is a NYTimes Bestseller on it's release week. It sold
   50,000 copies
   - Jeanine Cumming received a seven-figure advance for writing the novel
   - American Dirt is still an Oprah's book club pick

There can be no conclusions drawn from this context other than that
American Dirt is a very successful book. In light of this, perhaps you may
want to retract your claims of censorship. (As an aside, our profession has
a special relationship with censorship. Opposing it is a core professional
duty. However, also as a profession it is in our core values to understand
that censorship applies only to governmental actions. Could you please
share which government group is repressing the book? Which libraries are
removing it from their collections?)

As for criticism of the book, librarians also have book criticism in our
core professional values. One might suspect that your reaction to American
Dirt has more to do with the financial impact of the book's unpopularity on
the publisher than on our professional library values. We do not hold
publisher profits to be sacred. Flatiron invested heavily in the book and
it turns out they made a bad investment. (As an aside, something they could
have avoided by paying money to sensitivity readers.) Jeanine Cumming is
free to write her book. She is free to get her book published, but unlike
your letter seems to assume, she is not entitled to sales or a successful
book tour. If people do not like her book, these critics are free to talk
about why they do not like her book to other people and all of those people
are free not to buy the book. We, as readers, are not required to like or
purchase this book simply because Flatiron paid out large sums of money on
publicity and celebrity spokespeople.

This seems like a very simple point, but intellectual freedom does not
require anyone to like a particular book. Certainly enough people have
liked American Dirt enough to put it on the NY Times bestseller list. As
for the book tour, Flatiron Press is more than free to continue to pay for
it. You email suggests that threats of violence discouraged the tour. I
suggest a much more banal reason: the critics are right. The book has
significant flaws and these flaws mean that sales from the tour will not
recoup the costs of publicity. That's not censorship, that's capitalism.

For all that, I expect libraries will buy and circulate the book. Oprah and
the NY Times will ensure that. Cultural appropriation is not a crime. It's
bad manners at least. The book seems aimed at a Latinx market, and the
outsider-written story failed to resonate with that market. In the end, the
appropriate way, from my perspective, to frame this conflict is not as
censorship or silencing. Rather, it is the story of an author who received
a seven-figure advance to write about other cultures. In the end, people
from those other cultures didn't care for it and that bad opinion ruined
the market for the book. It's a story about a business not understanding
it's target market.

Maybe I've repeated this too many time, but Jeanine Cumming is free to
write whatever books she wants to write. She is not, on the other hand,
entitled to sales if her words fail to please the consumers. Successful
book tours are not a entitlement.

Nicholas Schiller