[Libs-Or] "American Dirt" and the Social Justice Warriors (Tony Greiner)

Ellie Avis eavis at josephinelibrary.org
Tue Feb 4 14:09:46 PST 2020

I just want to support those who are making the point that the American Dirt controversy isn't about policing who can write about characters of a different race or ethnicity than themselves, it is about which voices get elevated within the publishing industry. The popularity of a book--especially before its release--is largely determined by how much money the publisher puts behind it. Let's face it, as this article from The Guardian points out, the publishing industry is still overwhelmingly white:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/30/us-publishing-american-dirt-survey-diversity-cultural-appropriation

No one is saying that libraries should censor this book. People are just pointing out that there are Latinx voices telling similar stories (maybe even a few that Ms. Cummins read/borrowed from) and that maybe those authors should be getting more love/attention/book tours.

Writing a negative review of a (popular/well-funded) book isn't censorship. It's free speech.

Ellie Avis
Collection Development Librarian
Josephine Community Library District
200 NW C St, Grants Pass, Oregon
Tel. 541-476-0571 ext. 102

"Information helps you to see that you're not alone. That there's somebody in Mississippi and somebody in Tokyo who all have wept, who've all longed and lost, who've all been happy. So the library helps you to see, not only that you are not alone, but that you're not really any different from everyone else."
-  Maya Angelou

Message: 6