[Libs-Or] American Dirt

Tony Greiner tony_greiner at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 21:14:32 PST 2020

I said I was going to bow out, but will say this about the term "Social Justice Warrior."  There are some who use it perjoratively, and others who embrace it.  In the entrance to the library I work at are posters from activist groups calling for a rally of "Social Justice Warriors."  I was recently asked to write a letter of recommendation for a student who is applying for a grant to attend a conference of Social Justice Warriors (the term used by the organizers) in Washington DC. The term can be read both ways.  "Liberal" is another term that can be seen as self-descriptive or a perjorative, as can "right-wing." If I had anticipated that my use of the term "Social Justice Warrior" would have clouded my statement of concern about the attacks on this book, I would have phrased it differently. So whitle using the term was a mistake, it was an insult only for people looking for one.

There has been complaints that Cummins, who's father Puerto-Rican, identified herself as white a few years ago, but Hispanic or Latina for this novel, implying she is lying or some sort of hypocrite.  But there are many people who are from Latin-America and call themselves white. Check the census records for Miami if you doubt that.

I stick my point: Writing negative reviews of a book are part of the publishing world. But tearing down "American Dirt" or any book because of the author's skin color is brutish, and an attempt to still future voices. Writers with a Latin-American heritage who think that heritage has limited their careers and readership should speak up and be active. However, attacking another author's work because of her race is something librarians should oppose. It makes me sad that some don't.

**tony_greiner at hotmail.com**