[Libs-Or] A response to critics of my post about "American Dirt"

Meredith Farkas meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
Sat Feb 8 12:42:35 PST 2020

Tony,

How can you not see that labeling people who criticized *American Dirt *as
"social justice warriors" and then accusing people who disagree with you of
abandoning their professional ethics are personal insults? I (and probably
everyone else on this list who criticized your posts) take my professional
ethics around intellectual freedom very seriously and for you to accuse me
(and them) of abandoning them is *deeply* offensive. We have different
views of what upholding intellectual freedom looks like, but you chose
instead to insult everyone who disagreed with you and portray all of them
(but Nick Schiller's) as personal attacks. I read many cogent arguments in
the posts of our colleagues that you did not bother to engage with.

You might also consider re-reading what I wrote. I didn't say that you
assumed that white people were better authors, but the fact that you are so
concerned about intellectual freedom and yet have never expressed concern
for the people of color who have been systematically excluded from the
"marketplace of ideas" makes me wonder why that is. Also, I didn't call
*you* weak or passive, but that the idea that only opposing the censorship
of already published works is enough to defend intellectual freedom is a
weak and passive vision of intellectual freedom. Rather than engaging with
people's arguments, you seem to be trying your best to pick out the things
that you can call personal insults so that you can dismiss what they wrote.

Arguing about these issues is easy and academic for white people like us
and existential for our BIPOC colleagues. You have a pattern of trying to
provoke people, ignoring everything substantial they have to say, and then
claiming harm when they push back on you. You ignore people from
marginalized groups when they tell you you are causing harm and then
portray *yourself* as the victim. Your complete unwillingness to listen
empathetically to women of color like Marci and then your trumpeting of
only the response of another white man tells me that you have no interest
in learning from people who are different from you. I'm done engaging with
you.

Meredith