[Libs-Or] Fwd: [rmrtmembers] FW: Support our Tennessee colleagues

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:58:53 PST 2020

This email was shared to the ALA Retired Members Round Table. Just thought
some of you might also be interested in signing this message to Tennessee.

<advocomm-request at lists.ala.org>

*Sent:* Thursday, February 27, 2020 12:34 PM
*To:* advocomm at lists.ala.org
*Cc:* Deborah Caldwell-Stone <dstone at ala.org>
*Subject:* Support our Tennessee colleagues

Greetings from PLA Conference in Nashville!

As many of you know, our Tennessee colleagues are working to defeat a
censorship bill called the “Parental Oversight of Public Libraries Act
<http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB2721>.”
This bill requires parental oversight boards for public libraries—separate
from library boards—that have final say on access to materials and programs
for children. It has a hearing in both TN House and Senate subcommittees
next week.

With thousands of librarians from across the country in Tennessee, and
others watching from around the country, we need to make sure Tennessee
officials know that this is a bad bill. Our Tennessee colleagues are
reaching out to their lawmakers. We are asking out of state residents to
reach out to the Tennessee Dept of Tourism through this online engagement:
https://bit.ly/2PnGXjQ. Onsite at the conference people are signing
postcards and using this online form. We need your support, too.

I ask that all of you sign on and share the above link with your own
networks—via email and on social media—and ask people to take action.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Many thanks.

Megan

Megan Murray Cusick, MLIS

Assistant Director, State Advocacy

American Library Association

50 E. Huron Street
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/50+E.+Huron+Street+Chicago,+IL+60611?entry=gmail&source=g>

Chicago, IL 60611
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/50+E.+Huron+Street+Chicago,+IL+60611?entry=gmail&source=g>
-2795

312-280-2423

800-545-2433 ext. 2423

mcusick at ala.org

--
*Diedre Conkling*
*diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou