[Libs-Or] Reposting for clarity: COVID-19 articles from the past week

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 10:40:11 PST 2020

ATTENTION: COVID-19/CORONAVIRUS INFORMATION TO EVALUATE

Articles this week about COVID-19 range from "Keep calm and wash your
hands," to “It is better to get through this OMG moment now rather than
later.” Here are some for your consideration and evaluation. Libraries can
be a source of valid information and a hub for communities coming together
to support each other. Perhaps someone could make a LibGuide. Do you have
any ideas? If so, please post them in the comments below, along with links
to information you have evaluated that might help others. Also, if you
think any of these sources are bad, please let us know. As library workers,
we can choose which information will best inform and unite our communities
to weather this reality together.

Oregon Health Officials Confirm First Case Of Novel Coronavirus
https://tinyurl.com/tkncmt7

ALA recommends this article: How to prepare for coronavirus in the U.S.
(Spoiler: Not sick? No need to wear a mask.) https://tinyurl.com/st8slk8

Center for Disease Control COVID-19 page:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

What Public Libraries Need To Know About the Coronavirus
https://tinyurl.com/vwyzj27

Here is one from Australia: Past Time to Tell the Public: “It Will Probably
Go Pandemic, and We Should All Prepare Now” https://tinyurl.com/vcsppvm

>From the article, "Suggesting things people can do to prepare for a
possible hard time to come doesn’t just get them better prepared
logistically. It also helps get them better prepared emotionally. It helps
get them through the Oh My God (OMG) moment everyone needs to have, and
needs to get through, preferably without being accused of hysteria.... It
is better to get through this OMG moment now rather than later."

March 25th NLM webinar: https://tinyurl.com/vk2h7lc

Stat News is offering it’s coverage of COVID-19 for free.
https://www.statnews.com/tag/coronavirus/
They are covering the coronavirus misinformation “infodemic.”
https://tinyurl.com/v8zh2r7

Escaping Pandora’s Box — Another Novel Coronavirus
https://tinyurl.com/vofzerd
>From the article, “As we push ahead, we should take heart in the Hesiod
version of the Pandora myth, in which Pandora managed to prevent a single
escape: “Only Hope was left …, she remained under the lip of the jar, and
did not fly away.”

This is not peer-reviewed but you can evaluate it.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands Gif
https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/images/keepcalm.gif

Thank you to those who helped make this list.

Best wishes,
Charles Wood, MSLIS