[Libs-Or] 2020 Mock Printz Results!

Sonja Somerville SSomerville at cityofsalem.net
Thu Jan 16 19:27:13 PST 2020

Greetings!!

Oh, what a very, very lot of fun we had last Saturday at the 2020 Mock Printz event held at the Beaverton Community Center. The group of teens and adults intensely discussed and fiercely defended the eight books chosen by the Mock Printz committee and finished with a vote that identified a clear Oregon Mock Printz Winner! (Drum roll, please ...)

Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All by Laura Ruby

We also selected three Honor books:

  *   House of Salt and Sorrows by Emily A. Craig
  *   They Call Us Enemy by George Takei, Justin Eisinger and Steven Scott
  *   The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys

Now ... we wait with bated breath for the announcement of the actual Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/printz> as part of the ALA Youth Media Awards Announcement from 8-10 a.m. Eastern time Monday, January 27 from ALA Midwinter in Pennsylvania. You can even watch it on live stream (if you feel like getting up bright and early): http://ala.unikron.com/

The group ended the day by creating a list of OTHER excellent books from 2019 that could also be strong contenders for the 2020 Printz Award:

  *   Brave Face by Shaun David Hutchinson
  *   Stage Dreams by Melanie Gillman
  *   Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus
  *   Crush by Svetlana Chmakova
  *   The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner
  *   Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee
  *   Heroine by Mindy McGinnis
  *   Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto
  *   This Was Our Pact by Ryan Andrews
  *   Like a Love Story by Abdi Nazemian
  *   Pan’s Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro and Cornelia Funke
  *   Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe
  *   Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds
  *   Laura Deen Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki
  *   Queen of the Sea by Dylan Meconis
  *   Lovely War  by Julie Berry
  *   Sorry For Your Loss by Jessie Ann Foley
  *   Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay
  *   Once & Future by Cori McCarthy and Amy Rose Capetta
  *   The Music of What Happens by Bill Konigsberg and Joel Froomkin
  *   All Our Broken Pieces by LD Crichton
  *   With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

Many thanks to all the helpers who made the day a success and to Abbey Guterud from Ooligan Press who shared information about what happens to a book between when it is written and when it is published AND shared some of the excellent books published by Ooligan Press!

We're already looking forward to next year.

Best,

Sonja Somerville, MLIS

Teen Services Senior Librarian

Pronouns: she/her/hers

City of Salem | Salem Public Library

585 Liberty St. SE, Salem, OR 97301

ssomerville at cityofsalem.net<mailto:ssomerville at cityofsalem.net> | 503-588-6083

Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/spl.oregon> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/spl.oregon/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw7eUMqW0fgwHhj8h1EClQ> | Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/sploregon/pins/> | CityofSalem.net<https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/library.aspx>