[Libs-Or] State Library Newsletter: Letter to Libraries Online July 2020

Jerry Curry jerry.w.curry at state.or.us
Thu Jul 2 12:09:18 PDT 2020

View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/e50f4a5d54e8/state-library-newsletter-letter-to-libraries-online-december-1592042?e=0d2401e925>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/78df1b60-ce57-44e2-bf2e-eeeca7580653.jpg]

Letters to Libraries Online: News from the State Library of Oregon
Volume 30, Issue 07 - July 2020

State Library News

State Library Operations

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/7c0d2e1a-63ef-4131-b2b9-f12139e1a4cb.jpg]

Along with most state agency buildings, the State Library building remains closed to the public through the end of August. As the end of August approaches, the health situation and the needs of agency programs will be assessed to determine next steps for reopening state buildings to the public. Although the State Library building is closed, we continue to provide a full range of services including:

  *   Information and support for libraries<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=402b0c970f&e=0d2401e925> throughout Oregon.
  *   Talking Book and Braille Library services<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=814a1aa433&e=0d2401e925> for Oregonians with print disabilities. We have resumed mailing books to registered users.
  *   Research support and resources for state employees<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=db0ee10c05&e=0d2401e925>.
  *   Digital collections<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=1017d2d0d6&e=0d2401e925> and databases<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=207b570404&e=0d2401e925> available to all Oregonians.
Please contact us<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=c12095d99a&e=0d2401e925> with any service requests or questions.

Oregon Administrative Rule Update

The State Library is going through the rulemaking process to update the definition of Statewide Summer Reading Program in the Oregon Administrative Rules. Currently, the rule names the Collaborative Summer Library Program<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=56b253eabe&e=0d2401e925> in the definition, and we are broadening the definition to any nationwide or statewide summer reading program so that we have the flexibility to select other summer reading programs.

Details for reviewing the new rule and submitting comments are on the State Library website<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=f241aa0b55&e=0d2401e925>.

Library Support and Development Services

COVID-19 & Continuing Education Resources LibGuides

Over the last few weeks, Library Support and Development staff cleaned up our COVID-19 LibGuide<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=60f8f50ab7&e=0d2401e925>. We weeded content, reorganized resources to help you better find what you need when you need it, and finally, moved some content to our new Continuing Education Resources LibGuide<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=1950fff2e7&e=0d2401e925>.

Of particular note, the "Recorded COVID-19 Webinars" and the "Self-Care and Work" sections have been moved to the Continuing Education Resources LibGuide. The list of recorded webinars was reorganized to be listed by date, popular topics, and other topics. Additionally, this guide has been expanded to include free online resources, resources from professional organizations, and the beginnings of subject-specific resources. We will continue to expand this guide over time.

Check out the LibGuides. We welcome your comments and feedback. In particular, if you have a resource that you feel is worthy of being shared with your colleagues across the state, please send it<mailto:library.support at state.or.us> our way!

Talking Book and Braille Library

Talking Book and Braille Library Moves to Customizable Cartridges

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/a4ef3608-2969-4c88-a89e-553eb663bfca.jpg]

The Talking Book and Braille Library is excited to announce a new audio book circulation method called Duplication on Demand! Previously, audio books were circulated as single titles on each cartridge, but now we can customize cartridges with up to eight books from a user's requests and preferences. This new customizable method has a plethora of advantages over the old model.

First, all users will now get what they want when they want it. Reusable cartridges are loaded with titles from a digital storage unit capable of holding all the 90,000+ audio titles in the NLS collection that is updated in real time. That means no more wait lists, no more overdues, and no more download-only titles. If every user wants to enjoy the same book at the same time, we can just add the title to their queues and the system will insert the title onto their next cartridge. And users who cannot download their own audio books now have the same access to the entire collection as users who can, ensuring equitable access in line with our agency's core values.

Second, because we no longer need to order, inventory, and track individual copies of each audio book, the physical footprint of our collection has essentially been reduced from thousands of shelves to one computer. Most of the circulation process now takes place at one work station instead of having to walk up and down the aisles of the stacks. We used to have to circulate 1,200 single-title cartridges a day to keep up with user demand, and even then for many users it wasn't enough. Now we can circulate the same number of titles (and more) on a small fraction of the cartridges.

This new method did necessitate some dramatic changes to staff responsibilities, but we were up to the task. With some creative reorganizing and some excellent leadership we have all smoothly settled into our new routines.

Suffice it to say our users love this new circulation method. After a brief pause in mailing books in response to COVID-19 precautions, we resumed service with the implementation of duplication on demand and our users are very receptive and appreciative of the new method. And staff are enjoying the ability to say "yes" to users a lot more frequently: yes, we have that title; yes, we can send it tomorrow; yes, it is that easy. Duplication on Demand is very much a win-win for everyone.

You can read more about our transition to Duplication on Demand in an upcoming issue of OLA Quarterly.

Government Information and Library Services

Digital Collection Includes Vintage Tourist Advertising

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/eb469b1c-8189-413d-9919-0fd6d4ab4c46.jpg]

July is a big month for vacations. This year, tourism is bound to be much lower than usual as many put their vacation plans on hold.
You can take a virtual vacation in time via advertising campaigns in the Oregon Government Publications Digital Collection<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=5366981f12&e=0d2401e925>.
The Oregon Highway Commission conducted national advertising campaigns in the 1930s to boost tourism. Two scrapbooks, from 1936<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=ec70d8d394&e=0d2401e925> and 1939<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=7839c57863&e=0d2401e925>, include the advertisements and information about the publications in which they appeared.
In 1959, the State Highway Department published a study of their 1958 tourist promotion campaign<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=11b3272748&e=0d2401e925>. The advertisements appeared in 103 daily newspapers outside of Oregon, with a combined circulation of nearly 18,000,000.
Oregon state government still promotes tourism and evaluates the effects of advertising, as illustrated in this recent report<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=0340ecab28&e=0d2401e925> from Travel Oregon.

Contacts

Library Support and Development Services:
Ferol Weyand, Darci Hanning, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum, Arlene Weible, Susan Westin, Greta Bergquist
Contact information

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager:
Elke Bruton, 503-378-5455

Government Information and Library Services Manager:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

State Librarian:
Jennifer Patterson, 503-378-4367

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon.

Mission
The State Library of Oregon cultivates, preserves, and delivers library and information services to foster lifelong learning and community engagement.