[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: GRAPHICS - Working with SnagIt to Capture Screens & Edit Images

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Jul 14 14:39:06 PDT 2020

Greetings and welcome to this week’s issue of Tech-Talk!
Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/working-with-snagit-to-capture-screens-edit-images.html>, the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/what-do-you-tell-yourself-in-frustrating-moments.html>, and the leadership tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/what-do-you-do-of-value.html> online instead!
When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for BOTH.

Learn about how this software can help you
[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=668e3bcb-a24e-42d3-bb46-2251c9d7b8e0&a=1100778316270&c=4f52e898-6edc-11ea-9474-d4ae529a85ae&ch=4f548978-6edc-11ea-9474-d4ae529a85ae]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

Announcements

Extended through AUGUST: If your library, school or academic institution doesn't already have an unlimited Tech-Talk license for your STUDENTS, FACULTY and PATRONS, you can get one for free during this shutdown. APPLY HERE<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmCNIc6nd-WYAmKr399thlxsFkTYlX9lesyPlwsejBCMG_2WezblDRBvJZf0KLeXI85KjaXgMfHx7zCv2ayNZ4pwu9Ha4IPHIe48TiTOCslzoWDDFajeTArk=&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>.

[Ararow]

WEBINARS

IMPORTANT CHANGE in DATE: The Adding Music webinar (originally scheduled for July 15th) has moved to July 29. Thank you for your understanding.

·     July 29: Adding Music & Sound to YouTube Videos, PPTs and G-Slides

Register Here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmHlqHg-1LHJOL3MgnhizStSbXdDpjq-EnjekUvquXb2LMmITQN5eSIDXxvBBQnc1KzmLdSK9Oi9DWZT1SucNw3cV3L6ris3ffKkNhhA4RH_F&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

Watch the Recordings Here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmEwGoO7Ouc9VCxtsrrbZ0RB7EzMgxKxQi8kCdiBSWiogE6BSqRl8xN8uExxCr1_AVa8_NYIpkrtbqMVhTdzZ7c0xKJAatNMMQZ9mVCyiRTXJdvwKOWnqBoY=&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

 This Week's Topic: GRAPHICS / SOFTWARE

1. ARTICLE & VIDEO ...Use SnagIt to Capture Screens & Edit Images
2. COMMUNICATING ... Dispelling frustrating moments
3. LEADERSHIP ... What do you do of value?

[summer]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmBYGRihfMvIGxQhpUuGbCwaNvbucx1anU9G1i3bX3g9xFRj3It2HAZ7inwMEY0thEt_B0765DLQO2Ifjck_XTFeKcCbkFXt-XXkG23Aq_gDrvSpksUqFitJMNsjFcwRbl5LVwnFTBfO5BC64h1NMHAmFvY0LU_FO7YoZxLigv5gt&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

Photo by Johnny Martínez<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmBYGRihfMvIGY3X1TnL3rafL7xLJgvMUp2UIH2J5blJPjCdEYIFeKE-ALLSsIzgc9URTyddrX2gd-eYIQzYiDd6Tbokl6fK26Mi_ep6b2KKrW-j3-eCIPRY2c6vs_a7TYBglzsowbLdu41RnIYxJih9Cm7Zewj0nj7OUsSp7a6JU30-H6V7UqfCs4yBLfPzPg9ux7gpCN9tCjqejoc-SX7c=&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmBYGRihfMvIGw2ePFEHcdRnNyiMmtJgsUyCEy9XC59Zqw_WsQ2Lm67Aef636p-foKwtKPiAnxZBmY1nCsCXnXauhT4YryKHpSFtF95ZatE7vCDU0uQwJexW8liaTRfDWrvk1mxZjG_qdUr4iuRf0Fp6SjpprjDRpOTM7sN1cbm-LxEpZhUAvAfX7spp0n9xx9Xq5HMaSJCTgqIK0idNMxs-xmzr6jIK6wH5yETOQqdYt&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

Brought To You By

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmNYannzamxL_TfyPOkslgoZM_MuWBPO-4BUDlSF1TINUOO_z3AZ_xEaALvkS6KD5ECfzpp5kNp8z0PmpdhKSIa4AiOeNUmpuGoeMNcbsWTlM&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?

GRAPHICS - Use SnagIt to Capture Screens & Edit Images
Intermediate

[Snagit]

Yes, you our Tech-Talk subscribers have been requesting even more articles on tools to help create graphics. And although we've written about many free image-editing options, there's one power-packed software that stands out.

It does have a small one-time cost, but if you work with images of any kind, it's a lifesaver and a true joy. (And no, we don't get a commission on any tools we share with you in Tech-Talk.)

TWO (2) BONUSES: Watch the video<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmBYGRihfMvIGxQhpUuGbCwaNvbucx1anU9G1i3bX3g9xFRj3It2HAZ7inwMEY0thEt_B0765DLQO2Ifjck_XTFeKcCbkFXt-XXkG23Aq_gDrvSpksUqFitJMNsjFcwRbl5LVwnFTBfO5BC64h1NMHAmFvY0LU_FO7YoZxLigv5gt&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==> for this article that gives a brief tour of SnagIt. And, view a one-hour webinar recording<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmEsczu7iH9f9XrtM04LLuZ8vWS2g_E4f6y4yQI3Eur64pqFW4RP1Re8Wv58FkS5tU25WL62WhNStk_h3Ky8dDecRC83HlfB1xvSXCT9hZQpJ5b66hub0mHo=&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==> for an in-depth demonstration to see this tool in action.

SnagIt software is a screen capture and recording tool used to take a picture (or video) of what is on your computer ... and then you can edit it. On top of that, it's not just for taking Snags… you can open existing images from your files to edit (resize, add call-outs, color-enhance, etc.)

This software is made by TechSmith and can be found at https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmHR0PuHWAQTZ-tfSKrM_RMusvpvMK9ZUiog5g2GMZG4nFqrFZEYr-WQtGisRtpCvoM0gzPHs6c4VBA5CrVQQ_OiWUUk1_PgJ90fUiPU0RnmP7IR_FZ_yiIk=&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>.

The retail cost is $49.95 for an individual license (buy it once, use it for years). The non-profit and educational discounts appear to be about half that. Of course there is a free trial so you can give it a spin first.

What Would You Use SnagIt For?

In Tech-Talk, we use SnagIt all the time to: 1) capture pictures of "how-to" steps for our articles, 2) edit the free images we get from Unsplash.com to add color and spice to the newsletter and database and 3) communicate with our tech folks, snagging a problem on the screen so they can see the issue.

Sometimes we even use SnagIt to record a video ... demonstrating something we're doing on-screen.

You might use screen captures (image or video) for your training guides, new employee manual or as a job aid, detailing a process.

Editing what you've captured is the most fun and lets your images have a finished look. You can crop off unwanted areas, add borders or change colors. You can create call-outs to add text or slice out an internal section you don't want.

... article continues in the Tech-Talk Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmBYGRihfMvIGxQhpUuGbCwaNvbucx1anU9G1i3bX3g9xFRj3It2HAZ7inwMEY0thEt_B0765DLQO2Ifjck_XTFeKcCbkFXt-XXkG23Aq_gDrvSpksUqFitJMNsjFcwRbl5LVwnFTBfO5BC64h1NMHAmFvY0LU_FO7YoZxLigv5gt&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

Forgot your login?
See the top of this email, just under the big picture.

The rest of the article covers...

·     How SnagIt Works
·     Open SnagIt and Start a Capture
·     Three (3) Different Types of Captures
·     Pre-Capture Settings
·     Take a Basic Region Capture
·     Using the SnagIt Editor
·     Capture Tray
·     SnagIt Library
·     Set SnagIt as Your Default Program for Images

Read the Full SnagIt Article Here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmBYGRihfMvIGxQhpUuGbCwaNvbucx1anU9G1i3bX3g9xFRj3It2HAZ7inwMEY0thEt_B0765DLQO2Ifjck_XTFeKcCbkFXt-XXkG23Aq_gDrvSpksUqFitJMNsjFcwRbl5LVwnFTBfO5BC64h1NMHAmFvY0LU_FO7YoZxLigv5gt&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communications: With Self
What do you tell yourself in frustrating moments?

I get in my car in the grocery store parking lot and prepare to leave. While I'm fussing with stuff to get it situated, an SUV drives behind me ... and stops. A woman saunters up with a shopping cart and proceeds to carefully put all her grocery bags in the back of the vehicle. All the while, blatantly blocking my exit! No "excuse me," "oops" or "I'll move."

Needless to say, I'm astonished to say the least. And a little irritated of course. But, what type of energy is that? Who does it benefit ... or hurt?

I go back to my office and happen to be talking to one of our subscribers, Jared, Head of Library IT at the Florida Institute of Technology. He shares an absolutely fabulous lessen he's learned ... a technique he's developed ... one I think you would like to hear. It's one that will help you deal with these kinds of situations.

It's a way to communicate with yourself that makes your life better, as well as the others in your world.

He says...

When something happens to me that is frustrating or puzzling, I simply ask myself, "Why am I offered this moment?"

And EVERY time I do that, something comes up.
It kind of shines the path a little bit.

This is literally the most important thing I’ve ever learned.

Here’s how it started. I was a window washer. A friend said,
"When you're washing windows and see something on the other side,
try to figure out some way that you can LOVE it."

I thought that was kind of weird, but OK, I thought, I'll try that.
It turns out I like it! I treat it like a game.
And the effect that it;s had on my life has been so
"tremendously amazing." It's an internalized thing.
So now when somebody is in my way or whatever,
I play it. I figure out how can I love it.
I find the details that are beautiful in that "crappy" situation.

The cool thing about it is that when something stressful comes to me,
I don’t even realize it IS stressful.
It's because my brain is trying to find something beautiful.

The more I play it the easier it gets.
And it is literally the best thing I've learned in my entire life.
I play it so much, and learn so much, I must have a PhD.

The moral of the story is ... when people are being difficult, let the troubling part stay with them, and it don't let it carry over to you. Find the beautiful in it to love.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
What do you do of value?

An egalitarian approach to leading teams, in my opinion, is the most productive mode to be in if you want greater engagement and better results. It should be considered the style that is used most frequently. (Remember, there are four: autocratic, democratic, benevolent and egalitarian.)

True Story

I attended a national conference for management communications one year and heard a very interesting keynote speaker. What he said left a lasting impression.

He was the CEO of a beauty products company based in Europe. He talked about how he absolutely valued each person's contribution and wanted to make sure the individuals in the company felt the same way. He talked with them at every opportunity.

He told us that he made it a habit to ask individual employees … as he met them in the hallway or an elevator ... "What would happen if you were not able to come to work, how would the organization suffer?" He wanted them to realize the impact that each of them has.

"That's easy,” said one fellow proudly, "you would miss out on important information because you wouldn't receive your mail."

Your Value Contribution

OK, so think about that question for you and your job. What wouldn't happen if you were missing from work? How would that affect the organization and its mission? Maybe the materials wouldn't get shelved so people wouldn't have the choices they need. Perhaps a report doesn't get generated so needed funds aren't received. Maybe, it's that patrons would miss an always friendly face when they come through the door.

Tell us in the comments so that others can benefit from your sharing.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmEvp8RHLm7TNzw_3Gws84jQL09gZzpUGzTxfNWMK1sik85SCYppar0N7RLv3Q266cTYhLg3iEKCMlIdQCuMiIPHr9P4wm-OpZR_X4vBMandc&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001XIFrJ7MGJCBAy_Auv9SjVK_jXWoqoiPKO1_UZZOdqu5y0PnSWGwbmOB_DQd947z2paFq2GVhS81Ih3mv57gV3JhZ4FgMTOUHaLAzgRsi7L2OgV0QFFp0s-gtp9ArO96QJJXLiLMH9LxKgUW-o0aRNlRG4TSjXJlf4mTz6W1IuB8=&c=I9fNOXO49EaTEKMam6qNVVgJOostH3p95GGg_E5qEqYxJDLO2y8_jQ==&ch=vulS3pXBva25ogsQ08ZMCLcJxqSYJe8Pua7V5tKFfn0pB1s1lAuepA==>

Copyright 1996-2020 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on TechTalk or Libs-OR mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D5DB5B.50C9D890]